Sign in with
Your question

Is Nvidia Dedicated Physx Card necessary

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2010 11:53:05 PM

I'm building a system. I am going to use 2 Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express. Would the addition of a dedicated Nvidia PHYSX card be an asset in 3D rendering, movies and games. I usually update my systems every 5 to 6 years.
March 30, 2010 12:20:55 AM

No, a dedicated PhysX card is useless. PhysX is going no where so just don't worry about it. I fully recommend disabling PhysX unless you are playing Batman AA, the only game that MAY benefit enough from it to justify the performance hit, though I still don't recommend it.

Now you will witness the full power of nVidia's marketing team swoop in on me and make ridiculous claims that PhysX is the best thing since SLI and crossfire, ignore them.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:27:42 AM

Thanks, I had my doubts, I'd rather have an open slot than a card that is for bragging rights only.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2010 12:30:57 AM

AMW1011 said:
No, a dedicated PhysX card is useless. PhysX is going no where so just don't worry about it. I fully recommend disabling PhysX unless you are playing Batman AA, the only game that MAY benefit enough from it to justify the performance hit, though I still don't recommend it.

Now you will witness the full power of nVidia's marketing team swoop in on me and make ridiculous claims that PhysX is the best thing since SLI and crossfire, ignore them.

But if I already have a 9500GT lying around, will it be worth it to install in my PC to help my HD4890 + X4 720BE get more "wow" moments in Batman or Mass Effect 2?
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:25:34 AM

There is no GPU accelerated PhysX in Mass Effect 2.

Unless you can sell the 9500 GT for a decent amount, there is no reason you shouldn't at least see if you enjoy the small added benefits in Batman AA, though do not expect anything to make you go "wow".

I keep PhysX off even in Batman AA because I can't really afford the performance hit and the benefits aren't exactly game changing.
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:34:48 AM

I see... okay thanks! I used to have 2x9500GT and I was able to sell the other one but the remaining one has been with me for 6 months. I think I'll try to install it since there is no cash out involved anyway... Will just try to get a feel... If I don't like it I will just uninstall it.
m
l
a c 173 Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 6:41:50 AM

AMW1011 said:

Every time someone disables PhysX via the Nv control panel somewhere in the world a fluffy kitten passes away, I've no idea if there is any connection but I leave mine enabled just so I don't get labelled as an accessory to kittycide.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:11:31 AM

I recently installed Physx because it was a requirement for Dragon age. I have no idea why. I also don't know if it would even work with my HD 4850. I know physx was acquired by nvidia, and is designed specifically for nvidia cards, but I heard something about ATI enabling support. Anyway, after installation Dragon Age was working again and is running very nicely.

But then, it was running smooth before as well...Oh well. Haven't noticed any gameplay differences.
m
l
March 30, 2010 10:40:49 AM

buzznut said:
I recently installed Physx because it was a requirement for Dragon age. I have no idea why. I also don't know if it would even work with my HD 4850. I know physx was acquired by nvidia, and is designed specifically for nvidia cards, but I heard something about ATI enabling support. Anyway, after installation Dragon Age was working again and is running very nicely.

But then, it was running smooth before as well...Oh well. Haven't noticed any gameplay differences.

Dragon Age likely uses the PhysX API, but does not have PhysX GPU acceleration, all of that is does by the CPU.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:14:39 PM

You gotta hand it to Nvidia's marketing department... they're wizards. Between PhysX, "the way it's meant to be played" and rebadging old parts with new names... they are definitely out-marketing AMD/ATI.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:30:03 PM

The only reason they're not fully utilising physics is that almost all the game programmers are programming for the consoles and we're getting portovers.
Consoles don't support physics and GOD forbid they spend the money and time to write an actual PC game from the ground up that actually uses the capabilities of our hardware.....
That said....until they actually start writing for the PC again I'll never need an upgrade!!!!!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 12:56:15 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
The only reason they're not fully utilising physics is that almost all the game programmers are programming for the consoles and we're getting portovers.
Consoles don't support physics and GOD forbid they spend the money and time to write an actual PC game from the ground up that actually uses the capabilities of our hardware.....
That said....until they actually start writing for the PC again I'll never need an upgrade!!!!!

uhmmm.....All games have physics. Not all games support physX
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:25:19 PM

rodney_ws said:
You gotta hand it to Nvidia's marketing department... they're wizards. Between PhysX, "the way it's meant to be played" and rebadging old parts with new names... they are definitely out-marketing AMD/ATI.

Yes indeed. nVidia's marketing department are geniuses. This is where the huge chunk of the premium nVidia cost goes. While ATI/AMD fanboi's do their own marketing by pushing ATI/AMD at every opportunity in this forums ( and for free, mind you..), the reach is not enough to make so much difference in terms of market share...
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:25:42 PM

johnnyq1233 said:

No the reason is that PhysX does not work on ATI cards. All PhysX can do are useless particle effects, GPU accelerated physics is supposed to make the physics more complex and realistic which can't happen when half of your potential consumers can't utilize the tech.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 7:39:59 PM

PhysX adds a lot of effects in the new game Metro 2033. This game alone may be a game changer for a enthusiast. Nvidia may have helped these developers financially ? Its a win win situation with not many games coming out, and less and less development beyond ports. You can say its only particles, smoke. Its the extra eye candy and coolness factor that it adds. Ignoring it, is the same as telling yourself your gaming experience is the same with details set to low VS high. Keep fooling yourself.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:57:08 PM

Notty, lingering smoke and unrealistic gun fire smoke is not a lot of effects, nor do they really add anything.

Watch the video, and ask yourself, "If I wasn't standing their like an idiot looking for the minute difference, would it matter?"

The answer should be pretty simple.
m
l
a c 83 Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:01:02 PM

notty22 said:
PhysX adds a lot of effects in the new game Metro 2033. This game alone may be a game changer for a enthusiast. Nvidia may have helped these developers financially ? Its a win win situation with not many games coming out, and less and less development beyond ports. You can say its only particles, smoke. Its the extra eye candy and coolness factor that it adds. Ignoring it, is the same as telling yourself your gaming experience is the same with details set to low VS high. Keep fooling yourself

The interesting thing about this game, is that the PhysX performs extremely well without a PhysX video card. The reports are showing higher performance with PhysX enabled, when played with an ATi card.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:04:49 PM

AMW1011 said:
Notty, lingering smoke and unrealistic gun fire smoke is not a lot of effects, nor do they really add anything.

Watch the video, and ask yourself, "If I wasn't standing their like an idiot looking for the minute difference, would it matter?"

The answer should be pretty simple.

Like I already called your arguement. Strawman.

Unrealistic ? OK , lol where do the realistic post apocalyptic monsters fit in ?

Sure , Visuals on medium are the same as very high. Nobody is missing anything.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:05:35 PM

:lol:  playing a game without phsyX isn't like playing it on low at all.

I think the effects are OK, not exactly amazing and most certainly not game changing, IMO not worth the FPS hit.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:14:19 PM

But is the 5850 actualy rendering the phsyX effects?

Didn't know ATi cards can now do physX
m
l
a c 83 Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:16:51 PM

They render physX on the cpu instead of the gpu, always has.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:23:33 PM

BF BC2 can play in DX 9, 10, 11~with options
same with
Metro 2033
DX 9, 10, 11, with options and PhysX option.
Something for everyone.

Will some keep upgrading to turn everything on, or to its highest. People
doing it , did that with Crysis.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2010 8:24:44 PM

oh right, I always thought physX was a completely nVidia thing.
m
l
March 30, 2010 9:09:44 PM

notty22 said:
Like I already called your arguement. Strawman.

Unrealistic ? OK , lol where do the realistic post apocalyptic monsters fit in ?

Sure , Visuals on medium are the same as very high. Nobody is missing anything.

A puff of smoke randomly comes out of a gun about a foot away from the barrel, my God what am I missing!? I Have to turn PhysX on NOW!
m
l
March 30, 2010 10:07:07 PM

rodney_ws said:

Combine Nvidia's marketing team with ATI's general ability to make awesome cards and you've got the biggest threat to mankind ever known..
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:50:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input. I know more about Nvidia than I would have ever thought existed. I canceled the dedicated PhysX card. I feel I made an intelligent decision based on information gleaned from the responses to my original query.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:53:11 AM

chuckj5 said:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I know more about Nvidia than I would have ever thought existed. I canceled the dedicated PhysX card. I feel I made an intelligent decision based on information gleaned from the responses to my original query.

The replies start off serious, then it turns into the same old debates/sarcastic replies.

Don't bother with a physx card, if you've got any spare cards, sell them or keep them spare for a hot swap.
m
l
March 31, 2010 3:11:37 AM

Well...none of the consoles run an Nvidia GPU so therefore they can't run physics natively...
It would be nice to see the programmers actually write a game for PC and port it over to the consoles....but that would make it too hard for the poor old programmer..wouldn't it?
Console guy pays ahhhh roughly 200.00 for a box....right?
PC guy spends 2000.00 on his rig wanting the best graphics experience that money can buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who looses here????????????????
So give us what we want ....and that is PC only games to feed our hardware!!!!!!! and our thirst!!!!
We were here at the start of gaming and we're still here after the console invasion,
so do us proud by offering a PC only game that uses all our hardware and makes us say....WOW!!!!
m
l
a c 83 Î Nvidia
March 31, 2010 4:06:12 AM

One misunderstanding that has been made a few times in this thread and another about Metro 2033, is that people are believing that PhysX only runs if you have an Nvidia card present. PhysX works without the Nvidia card, it just isn't GPU accelerated.

If the game is designed to use physX well, take advantage of multiple cores of the CPU, or just limited so it doesn't need a lot of computational power, almost anyone can use it.
m
l
March 31, 2010 4:51:18 AM

Metro 2033 has it's physics done with the cpu where as a true physics game will have the gpu do that and let the cpu do what it's supposed to do......
This is where I was going in my previous post...
m
l
March 31, 2010 5:23:41 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
Metro 2033 has it's physics done with the cpu where as a true physics game will have the gpu do that and let the cpu do what it's supposed to do......

i would rather have my gpu rendering frames, not calculating physics, the cpu can do it just fine
m
l
a c 83 Î Nvidia
March 31, 2010 7:16:22 AM

johnnyq1233 said:

If you look at the benchmarks I posted above, you'll see that even the GTX285 had higher FPS, when the physX was rendered on the CPU, than when it was rendered on the card itself.
m
l
March 31, 2010 11:47:09 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
Well...none of the consoles run an Nvidia GPU so therefore they can't run physics natively...

The graphics card in the PS3 is called the RSX and was developed in conjunction with NVidia, at the time of development it was the most advanced graphics processor ever released however native Physx support was not included.

Consoles taking a large share of the gaming market was inevitable, its just the way the industry has gone to get their products to as many people as possible. But it does put PC gaming at an elite stance compared to the consoles. It also takes the potention idiots away from our servers and puts them on 360 servers where they can reverse evolution with their mini rages and cheeto-munching at their own pace.

Also, you can't blame some devs either going over to console completely or beginning to make some of their games available to consoles. They're businesses after all, and technically their allegiance is to no'one, so why not go where the money is? We're still getting really good games on PC, and we're not dying out as much as some would say.
m
l
!