Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Emergency

Last response: in Components
July 2, 2010 5:55:22 AM

Hello I really need some help.

So I was building my wifes new computer and I got all down to powering it up and when I did the power supply blew up with that nice pretty blue flame that they like to do. So I am sending it back RMA to new egg but I have a question for the community.
The Power supply I am sending back is a OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2.

Should I go to best buy and get this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+430W+TR2+ATX+...

so I can get her PC up and running. And then just use OCZ power supply when I build my PC later this year.

Her system will consist of:
AMD Athlon II 635
GA-880 Motherboard
500gb sata hard drive
320gb pata hard drive
4gb RAM
DVD Burner

I really have no intention of adding a video card but I wanted to keep this an option.

Also for me I do plan on doing a
Phenom II X4 945
GA-880 Motherboard
500gb sata hard drive
4gb RAM
DVD Burner
And a video card like a Radeon HD 5770

do you think the 500w supply will be enough for that also do you think the 430w supply is enough for her computer?

More about : power supply emergency

a c 139 ) Power supply
July 2, 2010 6:42:18 AM

Your emergency plan should work. I'm not too thrilled about that Thermaltake TR2 - especially at that $50 price tag. That 430 is the maximum output - not the continuous rating. So it's like a good 380-400W PSU. Which is enough for your wife's system.

That OCZ ModXStream 500 is enough for your X4 945 / 5770 system.
July 2, 2010 7:01:18 AM

Im starting to think I would be better off just waiting for my RMA especially since it looks like best buy has the 400w Dynex in stock so oh well just sucks cause I had it finally all put together. :cry: 
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 2, 2010 6:25:02 PM

Why not bite the bullet, spend the money, and get a good power supply?

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or similar quality.
July 2, 2010 10:02:29 PM

So I ended up going into work and we had some power supplies we were using for our development and put it in the PC until the new one comes. I also ordered another when I probably should have just waited for the RMA to come in but thanks everyone for your input I just freaked out at it was like 6 in the mourning oh well.
a c 105 ) Power supply
July 3, 2010 12:55:07 AM

You did NOT want the Dynex. It is one of the worst PSUs out there. The TR2 sucks pretty bad too, but lightly loaded, it may temporarily serve.
I agree with jsc though. Having a decent PSU can put a lot of worries to rest. I always get Antec or Seasonic, but Corsair and Enermax are good too. Avoid anything with a little voltage switch on it, and look for 80+ certification.
!