• Nvidia
  • Drivers
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2010 12:09:52 AM

All of a sudden my video card took a dive on me. I haven't been able to test a different card yet, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone else knew what to do. I have a Nvidea 8800 GTS. XP will boot as long as no Nvidea drivers are installed. This causes XP to load the generic slow driver. When I try to install the Nvidea drivers XP will fail to load and continously reboot. The text at start up in DOS is all garbled up and the graphics/dsiplay have all these horizontal lines through it. Anyone know what could be causing this? memory on the video card went bad?

More about : nvidea driver causing load

March 30, 2010 1:17:01 AM

Yeah, the card is probably fried. If you are seeing crazy stuff on a DOS screen, it's probably a bad PCB or RAM on the card.

I've had one that started only showing garbage on DOS screens, but ran fine in games, then one day.. Windows couldn't boot with it, no matter what computer I stuck it in (but would run OK for a while if no drivers were installed).

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 1:25:35 AM

You could try another power supply but if this does not cure the problem then the card is probably bad.
m
l
!
Paul