Is Line-in same as Mic-in??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 22, 2004 8:03:24 AM

I have just purchased a G-732 laptop and am very happy with it.... except
that I am short a line-in for ripping from tapes and LP's. There is a
mic-in and I'm wondering if this could be a dual purpose. If so, is it
software switched. I've never come across this before so any advice at all
will be appreciated.
Brian

More about : line mic

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 8:41:24 AM

No, it's not. Line in is a high-level input, one-half to one volt. Mic
in is VERY low-level, in the millivolt range. It may be possible to use
mic-in for line-in with an attenuator that cuts the signal by between
100:1 and 1000:1. However, if this is anything more than a "one-shot"
deal, the best solution is an external USB "sound card".

[in addition to the level differences, there may be substantial
differences in the frequency response.]

Brian wrote:

> I have just purchased a G-732 laptop and am very happy with it.... except
> that I am short a line-in for ripping from tapes and LP's. There is a
> mic-in and I'm wondering if this could be a dual purpose. If so, is it
> software switched. I've never come across this before so any advice at all
> will be appreciated.
> Brian

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 3:50:16 PM

I don't know anything about this particular laptop. However it is very
common for the mic inputonly to be mono (although via a stereo socket).
Comes as a nasty shock if you only find out after you have recorded half a
dozen CDs!

Creative SB MP3+ is a decent budget USB solution to the problem (even here
in the UK!).

David

> No, it's not. Line in is a high-level input, one-half to one volt. Mic
> in is VERY low-level, in the millivolt range. It may be possible to use
> mic-in for line-in with an attenuator that cuts the signal by between
> 100:1 and 1000:1. However, if this is anything more than a "one-shot"
> deal, the best solution is an external USB "sound card".
>
> [in addition to the level differences, there may be substantial
> differences in the frequency response.]
>

> Brian wrote:
>
> > I have just purchased a G-732 laptop and am very happy with it....
except
> > that I am short a line-in for ripping from tapes and LP's. There is a
> > mic-in and I'm wondering if this could be a dual purpose. If so, is it
> > software switched. I've never come across this before so any advice at
all
> > will be appreciated.
> > Brian

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 3:50:17 PM

"David Lee" <davidlee_malvern@dont.use.this.bit.hotmail.com> wrote:
>common for the mic inputonly to be mono (although via a stereo socket).

They also occasionally apply mic bias power over the third contact.
!