Is now the time to consider buying? X58\LGA1366 vs Newer Chipsets\Socket

tonyvak

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hello, Tom's Hardware & Other PC extremists,

I was wondering what your opinions are in buying Parts (Mainly CPU & Motherboard) now that the Sandy Bridge CPU's will soon be hitting the Market?

I am fine with buying an older Chipset\Socket type mainly to save money if there isn't alot to gain performance wise. But i do have the Dilemma that i was aiming for a MATX form board,

I was looking at getting an:
-ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58
-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

That's Roughly a $540.00 plan now, but looking at the "Sandy Bridge" It seems i will be getting alot more if i wait and push to the newer technology.

I read the Performance Charts, but i'm still having trouble deciding, what are your opinions on the issue? Any Advice, Articles, Or even similar Dilemma insights would greatly be appreciated.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
With the 2600k and i7 950 having identical pricing at the moment there really isn't any reason to go with the older socket 1366. Unless you have specific motherboard requirements, I would go with the newer chip.

However the sandy bridge isn't officially launched till the 9th so the prices might still go down for the 950 though I doubt it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=287
CPU comparision between 950 and 2600k