nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I built myself a quasi-HTPC about 4 months ago, and have it hooked up to my HDTV. The problem that I can't solve is that DVDs and any movies in general just look bad. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not DVD quality picture that I would expect on my HDTV. I've tried both Windows Media Center and Cyberlink PowerDVD, quality looks to be about the same.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, relevant specs are below:

GPU: HD 5970
Connection: HDMI (tried the cheap cable and the overpriced monster cable, makes no difference)
TV: Samsung 46" HDTV, 1080p, 120 Hz

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Really a 5970 for an Htpc? The gpu alone cost more then most people's htpc :), anyway.

Is it original dvds or "backuped"? But I know what you mean dvds look somewhat grainy on my computer dvd drive. I think what's happening is that your eyes are used to a lower res such as on old tvs.

Your hdtv is probaly 1920x1080 so you see more blotchy colors and what not.
I could be wrong, how do 1080p b-ray rips look?

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

Ok ok, so it's really a gaming machine plugged into an HDTV. The 5970, though overkill right now, made sense given its price point and overclocking potential. I wanted a machine which I wouldn't have to upgrade for many years, and would still have the oomph to deliver 60+ fps on high settings 4-5 years down the pipe.

We are talking about real DVDs. In a standard DVD player they look absolutely stunning on this TV, but when played from the computer they look bad by comparison. My goal when I built this machine was to simplify my home entertainment system. Just the cable-box, a stereo system, and this beast. I can stream netflix, pandora, play games in full 1080p at stunning graphics levels, and play (and store) movies. The real icing on the cake will be an HDMI capture card sometime down the road.

At any rate, my problem still remains. Games look absolutely terrific in 1080p, but movies just look like trash. It's not the TV. It's not that my computer lacks the power. There has to be some kind of setting or something that I'm still missing.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Here's what I mean. Standard dvd players push out at 720 × 576 pixels
Your 5970 is trying to play them at 1920x1080 so maybe that's why it looks so crappy?

Either way hows gaming on a large hdtv and 5970?