Eyefinity vs 3d from ati

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,
i dont believe there is eyefinity AND 3d support yet for ati cards, is there?

which do you hardcore gamers prefer, 3d or eyefinity?

3-monitor eyefinity for now. 6-monitor when bezels are gone.

Eyefinity costs $~300 for two more monitors, but you can use them for more than gaming. nVidia needs a decent GPU (higher-end(though the same for ATI to handle a high resolution)), though 3d is only for gaming.

Ultimately it's up to you.

Or movies. :p

That's really where I think the push for display hardware will come from a it will be for PC and Home AV systems, so not so niche.

AMD already does the extent of currently supported 3D, and the niche 3D surround is still developing steam for either platform very early in development where it's far far from perfected to the level of the other two individuals, if you call them 'perfected'. ;)

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

How do you get NO slowdown in performance in Eyefinity? Does Eyefinity even work using dual 5970s?

I must be doing something SERIOUSLY wrong or you are getting "secret" drivers from ATI! lol

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Dual 5970s ought to work in eyefinity now, and I imagine if you aren't stressing your cards, and aren't running FRAPS, you may not notice the slowdown and may not have much of one. If you are running FRAPS, you'll notice the framerate go down, but that may not be noticeable if the rate is high enough.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Generally yes Shadow- it will have a solid hit on the frame rates, though the level of AA/AF you add makes a bigger difference. If its a low level, you may not see much difference in frames because its not really doing much, but it'll make an increasingly larger hit the higher the AA/AF, and with diminishing returns.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Hunuok- why do you say that? it OUGHT to work now. I haven't tried myself because I can't afford even a single $300 card, much less 2 $700 cards, but according to driver releases and all of that, crossfire+eyefinity is now enabled and functional, and people are using it, so you should be able to make 2x5970 work with eyefinity.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hey there fly,

Contrary to release notes, it doesnt work. At least for 5970 quadfire users.

10.3 WQHL release notes dont mention further crossfire Eyefinity support.

After googling, I'm not the only one with this problem it seems.

I can narrow it down (after googling/forum responses) to a few things:

1. my rig is amiss (tech support reviewed my dxdiag, belarc advisor and msconfig files at their request),

2. driver issues-"We will be releasing newer drivers that may solve the issue that you are getting" (this is what AMD tech support believes---three times mind you),

3. bandwidth problems with crossfire connector (apparently it was designed for a max 2560x1600 res)

4. VRAM issues.

5. it ONLY doesnt work with quadfire setups.

If I can run Eyefinity off a SINGLE 5970 at good settings (8064x1600, high/ultra settings, vsync off, AA/AF/Post processing OFF) and frame rates (~40-50FPS ave), why wont it run with DUAL 5970s? :??:

Does 0-10FPS ave constitute "WORKING" for dual 5970 Eyefinity?lol

Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice would be MUCH appreciated! :D

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
lol. I understand. I would say that if you are getting 10FPS, its actually "running" so its enabled, just not working properly. It may have something to do with drivers not properly working with more than 2 or 3 GPUs, and may also have trouble with the crossfire bridges (are you using one or two?). But yeah- I would say technically its working, just not properly since if it wasn't working, you would literally be unable to run it- you would end up running EITHER eyefinity OR crossfire, not both, which you ARE running both, just not well.
I would try various arrangements with 1 and 2 crossfire bridges, try 10.3a and 10.3 WHQL drivers, make sure you've got all the crossfire profiles installed, etc. may even be worth cranking through a full reformat and reinstall of windows (not sure how much you've done so far).

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hey there fly,

Thanks for your input.

Have tried:

1. clean install (4 times),

2. drivers-9.12 hotfix, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 pre, 10.3a pre, 10.3 WHQL, OGL 4.0 pre. Crossfire apps installed/uninstalled/installed. 10.3 WHQL runs "best",

3. 5970 only supports a SINGLE crossfire bridge.

4. hail mary to GOD. :p

5. NVIDIA help desk. They seem to have issues themselves, so declined. :p

As you mentioned, its either Eyefinity OR Quadfire. Not BOTH.

Cheers. :)