Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid 0 and single disk

Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2012 12:01:54 PM

Hello guys I am thinking of getting another 500 GB HDD I already have one so should I connect them in a raid 0 array or just leave them?
my only concern is about the data failure
Is Raid 0 more risky than a single HDD?

More about : raid single disk

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 3, 2012 12:25:34 PM

supersonic977 said:
Hello guys I am thinking of getting another 500 GB HDD I already have one so should I connect them in a raid 0 array or just leave them?
my only concern is about the data failure
Is Raid 0 more risky than a single HDD?

Definitely! Look at it this way: When you RAID-0 two drives, the system sees it as being one large disk, however since you have two mechanisms, you have twice the number of components, and therefore twice the possibilities to fail. And if ONE of the hard drives fails, then you will have lost ALL of your data! :o 

I would leave them as two separate drives. :sol: 
June 3, 2012 12:36:24 PM

Best answer selected by supersonic977.
m
l
June 3, 2012 12:36:53 PM

There's no point to RAID 0 on a single HDD, frankly if it 'can work' it would be slower not faster. Any RAID 0 is risky if ANY drive fails then you lose all of your data (one drive, 2+).

RAID 0 is for the OS and Apps that are easily replaced i.e. NEVER critical data. So if you want RAID 0 then use at least (3) three drives: (2) RAID 0 (OS + Apps) and (1) HDD (Data) and IMO with some other form of backup i.e. backup drive.
m
l
!