Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ThinkPad display problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 3:23:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Recently the display light on my TP 600E doesn't kick in after boot up and I
end up with a completely black screen. But at other times it works ok.
Sometimes moving the display more than halfway down and then up again during
boot up brings the light on. That seems to indicate there's some loose cable
or connection, am I right? If so, is it possible to fix it at home and how
do I go about it?

Regards
Lucar
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2004 4:28:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Sometimes moving the display more than halfway down and then up again during
> boot up brings the light on. That seems to indicate there's some loose cable

That most likely indicates that the CCFL tube is getting gassy. As the
tube leaks in atmospheric gas, the strike voltage increases.

It could also be an inverter failure, but the tube is a more likely
culprit. Does the display have a pink tinge in white areas, especially
when cold?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 2:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
news:608b6569.0409221128.7e3b9b92@posting.google.com...

> That most likely indicates that the CCFL tube is getting gassy. As the
> tube leaks in atmospheric gas, the strike voltage increases.
>
> It could also be an inverter failure, but the tube is a more likely
> culprit. Does the display have a pink tinge in white areas, especially
> when cold?

No, when the light is on, the picture is perfect, no tinges. So it's the
inverter, right? Can I replace it myself?

Regards
Lucar
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 2:18:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> No, when the light is on, the picture is perfect, no tinges. So it's the
> inverter, right? Can I replace it myself?

Inverter failures are rarer than tube degeneration. The inverter is
found in the upper half of the clamshell. Yes, you can replace it (if
you can find a donor).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 11:41:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Wrong info.
If the screen lights when moved, the most likely culprits in order:
1. LCD cable
2. suspend switch sticking
3. inverter
Inverter for the T20 is cheap and easy to find. Takes about 3 minutes to
replace
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
news:608b6569.0409230728.18b6c807@posting.google.com...
> > No, when the light is on, the picture is perfect, no tinges. So it's the
> > inverter, right? Can I replace it myself?
>
> Inverter failures are rarer than tube degeneration. The inverter is
> found in the upper half of the clamshell. Yes, you can replace it (if
> you can find a donor).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 5:04:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Wrong info.

Well, I'm totally on crack. I was about to write a scathing flame about
how you didn't read the original question, when I realized that he did
say what you think and not what I think. Sorry.

I thought he was saying that it sometimes worked if he moved the
brightness control. I have had a couple of laptops with this kind of
problem, they wouldn't strike when the brightness was low, so you had to
kick the tube awake by pushing the brightness up, then bring it down
again to save battery life. CCFL degradation in both cases.
September 24, 2004 8:25:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Lucar" <lucar@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>Recently the display light on my TP 600E doesn't kick in after boot up and I
>end up with a completely black screen. But at other times it works ok.
>Sometimes moving the display more than halfway down and then up again during
>boot up brings the light on. That seems to indicate there's some loose cable
>or connection, am I right? If so, is it possible to fix it at home and how
>do I go about it?
>
>Regards
>Lucar

I have a similar problem on an A20p. Was fixed temporarily (for several month) by
tightening some connections.

Now, it helps when I push slightly on the cover when the LCD is
closed, before switching the unit on. The "sweet spot" is near the
hinge. I assume something is loose again.

Roger
!