Graphics Card and Motherboard compatibility

mrtumnus

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I just bought a new GTS450 graphics card and is PCI-Express x16 2.0. My motherboard is a asus a8000 that has a PCI-Express x16 slot. I'm not quite sure if it is 1.0 or 1.1. The card fits, but when I turn the computer on I get no singal from my monitor. I've tried all three ports (HDMI, DVI and D-Sub) on two monitors and I still got no signal. The computer sounds like it fully running. I've been reading everywhere that the PCI-Express x16 2.0 is fully backwards compatible with motherboards that are PCI-Express x16 1.1 but not 1.0. Is this true and is there a way to know which slot I have on my motherboard?

tecmo34

Administrator
It will work on PCIe X16 1.0... "PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v 2.0 will be able to work with the other being v 1.1 or v 1.0." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express )

Do you have the power supply plugged into the graphic card, so it has power?

mrtumnus

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, the 6pin connector is plugged into the card. My current card is a 7800GT which works fine. I feel I may just need to return it to newegg and get another one. I think it might of just been a bad card.

skulkarax

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Its unlikely your GPU from newegg is just "bad". Just because PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible w/ PCIe 1.x, doesn't mean that the mobo is compatible with the graphics card. You may want to just call Asus and ask them if they can help, otherwise you could be going through the same thing with the next card. Just my 2c.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Ugh... Did you disable your Intergrated Graphic Card in the BIOS before booting your computer? If you didn't, some computers defaults to the Intergrated Graphic Card and won't use your new GPU until it is enabled.

Hope it helps! :)