CPU Overheating

G

I'm having a weird problem that I hope someone on here might be able to help with.

About a month ago I noticed my fans were running noisy and tried adjusting them, eventually I found out my CPU was idling around 50c and that was causing them to kick into high. Prior, it had been idling from 30-40c max.

I had changed absolutely nothing about my PC, but all of a sudden it jumped up in temps. I went through troubleshooting steps both with Intel and EVGA, with no luck. I've done an RMA both on the CPU and the MOBO, reassembled it with the new parts last night and it's STILL idling around 46-50c.

Does anyone have any idea why recently it would be idling higher than normal? I'm running stock settings (no overclock, no custom voltages) in a room that's between 68-72f, it's pulled away from the wall and ventilated well. I'm using a Cooler Master Cosmos case with Scythe fans, everything is tied up and dust free. It should be running very clean and cool on idle, but it's not.

Running prime95 it caps around 65-70c. I've gotten mixed messages on whether this is safe or not. The big problem for me at least is the noise - the fans speed kick up just during idle and it's super noisy. I know I can bump up the threshold but then it just gets hotter.

If anyone has ideas that would be really appreciated!

:bounce:

Specs:

EVGA E758 Mobo
Intel i7-940 CPU
1x EVGA 285 nVidia GPU
2x Corsair 2gb RAM
1 Optical Drive
2 Internal Hard Drives

G

Hi,

I'm using the stock Intel heatsink. The first Intel heatsink I had, one of the pins used to push into sockets that lock it down was broken, and a bit lose - however after the RMA I received a new Heatsink that is working and firmly seated on the CPU, so I don't think that's it...?

tribulator135

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I doubt this would be the probably due to the fact that you have scythe fans but is there a complete shtload of dust clogging your intake fans? if you have dust filter's on your fans be sure to clean them off

Lutfij

Titan
can you manage to get an aftermarket CPU cooler...sounds really silly but i think the airflow in your case is compromised. :S and furthermore, the stock cooler that comes with ALL intel chips are crappy! Thas why aftermarket coolers reign supreme...in my opinion get a CM hyper 212 or a Prolimatech Megahelm/Megashadow to keep with the temps. And one more thing what about the thermal compound between CPU n HSF ?

G

I will look into a new heatsink. The only thing I have found to solve this, tonight I dropped the voltage down from 1.165 to 1.0 on the CPU and temps dropped about 5-6 degrees. Is there any downside to running at a lower voltage if it boots?

Regarding the heatsink, that still doesn't explain why before with the same hardware profile it was running 10-15 degrees cooler :(

When I applied the heatsink I didn't use thermal grease, I used the thermal pad that was factory applied on the Intel heatsink.

G

Understood, thanks.

Just wary about spending the time/money to put on a heatsink, as it was working fine before, and I just reached 57degrees playing Diablo II - that's more than just "stock runs a little hot"...

Lutfij

Titan
undervolting doesnt hamper the CPU lifespan :) ur ok

yeah it is a puzzle as to why your cores suddenly jumped the gun. The way i see it, when your CPU speed kicks in, the fan speed increases according to the PWM from the mobo. The Core2Quad's also have this prob, they all had an overheating problem - even after going 45nm and halfing the cooler size.