Optimzing Startup items in Win XP Pro

On my Win XP Pro SP2, 1.4GH AMD, 650MB RAM, 60GBHD (50%empty) system
with Admin rights, there are 7 applications that startup when the
Windows start. I need them all.

I have noted that at times (not always) it takes long for the startup
items to load up (especially the Anti Virus and the Firewall),
delaying the boot up/restart.

1-Is there a way to make the startup process faster without
eliminating any startup application?

2-Is there a way to specify the order of loading of startup
applications?

Thanks, in advance.

Matt
3 answers Last reply
More about optimzing startup items

    Admin <Net*man@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >1-Is there a way to make the startup process faster without
    >eliminating any startup application?

    You can try Bootvis (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/fastboot/) for
    this purpose.

    >2-Is there a way to specify the order of loading of startup
    >applications?

    Not really. You could transfer all startup commands into a batch file
    and arrange them here as you like. Then remove the startup commands
    and place a shortcut for your batch file into the STARTUP subfolder of
    the Start Menu. This will not work for Services.

    --
    (tm)

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:55:16 +0100, Thorsten Matzner
    <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:

    >You can try Bootvis (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/fastboot/) for
    >this purpose.

    FFS don't talk rot. This does what win XP does anyway.

    Go here
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx and
    STFU.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    I would also recommend trying Bootvis.
    I have used it with great success on my Windows XP Pro SP2 machine.
    In my case it cut down bootup time from about 27 secs to 19 secs at the best.

    And yes, it is said that Windows XP have a built in function for trying
    speed up things over time, but I must say that I haven't seen a better and
    quicker improvement than with Bootvis.

    Regards

    /Kenneth

    Admin skrev:

    > On my Win XP Pro SP2, 1.4GH AMD, 650MB RAM, 60GBHD (50%empty) system
    > with Admin rights, there are 7 applications that startup when the
    > Windows start. I need them all.
    >
    > I have noted that at times (not always) it takes long for the startup
    > items to load up (especially the Anti Virus and the Firewall),
    > delaying the boot up/restart.
    >
    > 1-Is there a way to make the startup process faster without
    > eliminating any startup application?
    >
    > 2-Is there a way to specify the order of loading of startup
    > applications?
    >
    > Thanks, in advance.
    >
    > Matt

Configuration Windows XP