What video card can i upgrade to

wackymanic

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I have a old, ok (ancient like myself heh) Sony. It has a Asus p4s533vx main mother board with p4 2.53 gig a 1 gig of mem. Several years ago I had bought a Nvidia agp 6600 to upgrade the video card. Sony's bio setting wouldn't support it and it also needed its own power supply so needless to say it didn't work well. You could play games on it but you could tell the system was having a rough time trying run the 6600. There was setting in the bios that needed to be changed but sonys bios setting are very limited on what you could do.

Anyways I'm in the process of ordering parts for my new computer but it will be some time before I get everything I want. In the mean time there are several semi recent games I want to play and my old geforce 5200 wouldn't run them very well at all. I can find no official info anywhere on how high a video card I can upgrade to with this board. Nvidia 6600 is to high and the min recs for the games I want to play are for a fx 5700. I found a nvidia 6200 for a good enough price to order it till I get my new system up and running. The 6200 doesn't have a extra power cord lead like the 6660. But no clue if my system will run it. Anyone where I could find out how high a card I can go with this motherboard. Somewhere between a 5200 and 6600?

thanks in advance

wacky

IHow much time do you need until you receive your new rig?
I say, just wait!
Ordering parts usually won't take longer than 10 days, or even less than 7 days.
Those graphic cards you've mentioned are all AGP cards, they already belong in the museum, don't buy anything, it would only waste your money, just wait.

wackymanic

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

I'm well aware of how old it is and how old my machine is . Its not a matter of days before I get my my parts. I'm ordering as I can afford them and they aren't cheap since I'm buying high quality top end gear. So it could easily be another 6-8 months before I get my new one ready. I have no desire to wait 8 months to play some of the games I want to atm, so whether its worth it or not I want to find out if anyone knows how high I can go on the video card or where I can find the answer.

wacky

6-8 months??? Where do you live?

If you can find it, I saw those ATI HD3xxx and HD4xxx are also available in AGP form.
But they won't be much of a boost for your ancient rig, and do pay attention to your PSU, I don't know if it is still able to handle the new cards.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well call SONY tech support....Most people in here BUILD their own rigs and know their hardware inside out. Sony churns out these overpriced 2 year old machines with locked down bios and no upgradabilities......
So call them and they should be able to tell you exactly what card you can run on that machine....they built it ....right?

wackymanic

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
to guanyu210379 thats not 6 8 months delivery time. Its the amount of time it will take me to pay for things. like say a dvd player and some memory sticks out of one check and a sound card out of the next. SO 6 months or so for the basics. Anyways thats all on hold. Part of our apartment complex caught on fire forcing us all out. No idea when we can return so my living costs are sky high right now.

In regards to Sony and customer service (roflma) is there such a thing? Even when my machine was still under warrenty Sony was extremely unhelpful. Trying to get them to answer a tech question on 8 year old machine would be like trying to pull teeth from a lion. They have flat out told me they no longer support or offer tech advice on older machines and this was 4 years ago when the machine wasn't that old.

So I'm guessing no one seems to have any idea how high I could go or where besides Sony I might be able to find the answers. Thanks anyways everyone

wacky

Buying a high end computer components over an extended period like that is actually a rather poor idea. Today's high end is tomorrows mid-range. Components like the CPU, video card, motherboard and hard drives are always going down in price and should be purchased when you are ready to complete the build. The RAM market is more volatile and goes up and down; quite expensive at the moment compared to a few months ago, and probably compared to a few months from now as well, but who knows. Case/PSU/DVD drive you can buy ahead of time as those markets are fairly stable.
If your time frame is 6-8 months I would recommend holding off on most purchases until around Thanksgiving. Black Friday/Cyber Monday/holiday sales tend to offer some very nice deals you wont find at other points of the year.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
If I was going to build a new comp right now ...paycheck to paycheck.....this would be my order.

1....Motherboard....the newest chipset x58 probably Gigabyte. the cpus are new and gonna be around for a long time.

2....Hard Drive(s)... These are priced quite low and are not going to change drastically in the next 6 months.

3...Case and Power Supply...These are also not going to change drastically in the next 6 months.

4...Opticall Drives and Ram...Getting close to finished. These items will tend to stay at the same prices for a long time.

5...The CPU...The best deal I can find on the processor for my motherboard....i7 920 or better! Prices on these tend to change within 6 months.

6...The Video Card...Also the best deal I can find on a upper level video card...Radeon x5870 or Nvidia GTX285...or so...these also have a tendancy to drop in price quickly.

The only thing left is the os and you probably have that or can get that so it's not a big issue.
But now after 6 paychecks you have a KICKASS SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps in some way....JQ

TRENDING THREADS