Closed

View Large PDFs(construction plans) In 1:1 Ratio on Screen

Hello,
I am a subcontractor for excavation, demolition, and site work. Most companies don't send physical paper plans anymore because printing them can be expensive. Instead pdfs of the plans are sent via e-mail, cd, or electronic download. I could bid on 10 jobs not win 1 and lose $1,000.00. If I open the pdf on my computer and try and view the entire page it has to shrink down to about 20% of the actual size, which doesn't help me estimate the cost of the project. I attempted to try and view the pdf's through my laptop onto a big screen TV and all it does is display a larger image at the same scale(20%), which doesn't help either. Is there a way I can view these pdfs on a screen that would be the same size of the paper it would be printed (52" monitor) in 1:1 ratio? It would pay itself off in 20 bids for sure, and I would be able to do estimates easier because I could trace lines in photoshop instead of using a ruler and marker. I would be gracious to anyone who could help, thanks in advanced.

**PS- If possible this monitor or TV would be used as the TV as well so if I have to purchase a large format monitor please recommend one that can be used as a modern TV(ps3 capable, hdtv, etc.)** Thanks again.
4 answers Last reply
More about view large pdfs construction plans ratio screen
  1. what is the scree resolution of your laptop?

because that will be the resolution it will project on a 19", 26", 52",etc screen.

The only difference would be the screen size, not the size of the image
  2. Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3427
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:
  3. 1280 x 800 is not a great resolution

see what your monitor can handle, then get a laptop or PC (with a cheap video card) that can match it
  4. The GeForce 9400M is capable of displaying up to 2560 x 1600, at least according to nVidia's specs. If you want to output to a HDTV make sure you set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. You will still only be able to see a portion of the blue print at a time though, but at least the HDTV will have 50% wider resolution 1920 vs. 1280.

As stated, the 9400M seems to have a max output of 2560 x 1600 so another option is to display the blue print on a 30" PC monitor which has 2560 x 1600 resolution which means you can see even more of the blue print at a single time. However, you are limited to a 30" LCD monitor since there is nothing larger with that resolution (at least on a consumer level). I would connect your laptop to a 30" PC monitor and test out the resolution before buying if possible.

You will not able to view your blue print in 1:1 aspect ratio (i.e. "life size") because you will probably need a monitor that can display at least 5,000 pixels across. That means a monitor with a resolution of at least 6400 x 3600 if you are shrinking it down by 20% to fit the entire floorplan on your screen. I'm sure there are commercial monitors with high resolution like that, but you're probably looking at something which costs at least $50k if not extremely more.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Graphics