Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best CPU for 3D BluRay

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 2, 2010 5:26:10 PM

I'm looking at building an HTPC for 3D output at atlest 720P (its what my projector's max output is). What is optimum cpu for this setup? I'm useing a GeForce 240 GT as my GPU.

For intel i was thinking i3 640 and if i went amd I was thinking Athalon II x2.

Your opinion?

This just helps me get an idea of where to build from.

More about : cpu bluray

July 2, 2010 8:03:23 PM

magruder13 said:
I'm looking at building an HTPC for 3D output at atlest 720P (its what my projector's max output is). What is optimum cpu for this setup? I'm useing a GeForce 240 GT as my GPU.

For intel i was thinking i3 640 and if i went amd I was thinking Athalon II x2.

Your opinion?

This just helps me get an idea of where to build from.

Out of those 2 save money and get the Athlon since its more than enough for HD (1080P) and you already have a gpu (I3 has a built in one). If you want to go the cheapest route, you can get a Celeron e3300 (dual core, 45nm, 2.5GHz) for 46.99 USD. I am using that Celeron with Intel GMA x4500HD graphics in a tiny HTPC i have for blu ray on a 42" Panasonic 1080P. If my Intel GMA graphics and the Celeron are enough, then your 240 GT and the Celeron (if you choose it) will definitely be enough.

Also im using 2 gigs of DDR3 ram in this HTPC.
m
0
l
July 2, 2010 8:42:21 PM

I'de use the same ram, but it's going to be 3D. Wont that make it 2 times as stressful?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2010 10:31:58 PM

magruder13 said:
I'de use the same ram, but it's going to be 3D. Wont that make it 2 times as stressful?

2 times as stressful? Don't know where you got that, but not at all. As long as you have software like Powerdvd10 which supports 3d blu ray and hardware acceleration you'll be fine, as the GTS 240 you have will be doing most of the work.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2010 3:29:12 AM

If you are near a microcenter, you should look for an Athlon X4 630 and a decent micro atx mobo. You can get both for around 100.00 as they have been having a great sale on those processors with bacically 40 bucks off any motherboard combo. I walked out the door at 105 bucks with that cpu and a biostar micro mobo.

You dont necessarily need that much cpu but it will definitely eliminate any doubts you have enough cpu for current (and future) needs you may run across that will allow you to keep strumping along with few needed upgrades for a while to come.

This is only in store pick up only so hopefully theres one within driving distance. A mediocre video card will do the trick. I have the onboard 4200 video with hybrid crossfire with a 20 dollar ati 3450. Its flawless video playback and I couldn't be happier...
m
0
l
July 3, 2010 5:21:42 AM

yannifb said:
2 times as stressful? Don't know where you got that, but not at all. As long as you have software like Powerdvd10 which supports 3d blu ray and hardware acceleration you'll be fine, as the GTS 240 you have will be doing most of the work.


Two times as stressful since 3D has to render two pictures verses one.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2010 5:35:51 AM

That doesnt mean the cpu is actually working 2x faster overall. The blu-ray process may take 25% of the cpu resources so even at that, your not running 2 player programs and so forth doubling the cpu/ram load. You are running 2x the refresh rate but thats not double the cpu load at all, nowhere close.
m
0
l
July 3, 2010 7:07:06 AM

Are you sure your projector will do 3D? I didn't know any were out yet. Or are you using two projectors like in the Tom's article?
m
0
l
July 6, 2010 3:10:14 AM

I found one in a maximum pc magazine that is cheap and will play 720p 3d Blue Ray movies at 30fps.
m
0
l
September 28, 2010 6:31:01 PM

Hi, I am also lookin to build a computer for 3d bluray with my dlp projector. How did u get on, what did u end up using, and how did 3d movie playback look?
m
0
l
!