Sign in with
Your question

4gig to 8 gig DIMM upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2011 9:17:04 PM

Hello,
I am trying to upgrade my HP Pavilion (64 bit Windows 7) PC. I am adding 4 gig (2x2gig DIMM) to exisiting 4 gigs. Each pair works for 4 gig, but the four DIMM modules do bot work together (8gig). I get one short beep followed by a long beep...no what the configuration of the modules.

More about : 4gig gig dimm upgrade

a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 1:46:23 AM

Are both pairs the same brand/model?
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:50:59 AM

They are not the same brand but they match...both sets are PC2 6400 DDR2 800MHz (compatible with PC2-5300 (667MHZ) and PC2-4200 (533MHz). There should not be a conflict. As I said, each set works fine in the PC, but they do not work together...one short beep on long beep. One set is OCZ NVIDIA (SLI ready) and the other is Memory Master CAS.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 2:53:20 AM

Motherboard is an AZUS IPIBL-LB (Benicia). It says that the board supports 8 gig RAM with a 64 bit system 2GB DDR2 DIMMS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 4:44:35 AM

Try to lower memory clocks with one set to less than the slowest memory set. Then try to boot with boss installed. Also, do you put each set on separate channels so they are in pairs? For example, if the channel 1 is in slots 1 and 2, and the second channel if for slots 3 and 4, put one set in 1 and 3 and another 2 and 4 slots. This is the most typical configuration. However, if the channel one is in slots 1 and 3, and the channel 2 is in slots 2 and 4, put one set in 1 and 2 and another in 3 and 4. If you don't know how the channels are placed on your motherboard, try both ways.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 4:52:06 AM

Also, put slower memory on the slots for separate channels that are closer to the CPU.
m
l
January 7, 2011 11:27:42 AM

Both memory sets have the same speed. Bios (recently updated to Rev. 5.43) does not allow for adjustments to memory settings/speeds. Bios indicates that banks 2&4 are "uninstalled." I take that to mean that there are no DIMMs in those slots. Is there another meaning? Is there a jumper/setting on the MB? What is the meaning of "boss installed?"

MB core version 8.00.14. PC originally came with Vista 32bit. I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit and PC has been functioning, perfectly, for a year.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 5:20:25 PM

Sorry, I meant both installed. Sometimes I don't watch what I am typing. Does any set work in slots 2 & 4 just like in 1 and 3? Yes, 2&4 are "uninstalled" should mean that there are no memory modules in those slots. Modern motherboards, as far as I am aware, should work without any jumper adjustment when you fill in all memory slots. I don't think they even come with any jumpers for memory. Don't take my word for this though.

Motherboards often don't like when different memory modules are used at the same time (such as different density, one sided or two sided, etc.). Putting them together sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I thought that slowing them down may help, but you can't adjust memory settings on your board. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck here. I would get a second opinion though, from someone who is more knowledgeable.
m
l
January 7, 2011 5:34:38 PM

Thanks! I have even tried to reset the CMOS with no success. There is something different about this MB...even the ASUS IPIBL-LB (Benicia) website says that resetting the CMOS is a simple procedure with the jumpers...didn't work for me! Go figure!
m
l
January 7, 2011 6:57:37 PM

There seems to be no way to clear the CMOS on this MB! Does anyone have any ideas!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 7:02:24 PM

There is another way to reset CMOS: take out CMOS battery for a few minutes. It should work in most boards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 7:06:10 PM

Also, if you still can boot into BIOS even with one stick of RAM, there should be an option something like Load Factory Safe Defaults or something like that.
m
l
January 7, 2011 7:08:54 PM

I will try both ways, but I have been looking for a battery, all day...already. There doesn't seem to be a CMOS battery on this board...which I find very strange!
m
l
January 7, 2011 7:19:58 PM

Yeah, that's it. I see the item that you are talking about. I was told that the battery was near the CMOS clear jumper...did not look around enough to see this item. I will get back to you
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:47:54 PM

Disconnected the battery...cleared the CMOS...didn't change a thing! I still get a short beep and a long beep with all four modules, with no boot. I guess I will have to match the RAM perfectly (brand/model/underwear/socks/any thing else?).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2011 6:36:40 AM

Yeh, I think you'll have to.
m
l
!