Is phenom really better than athlon?

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
is phenom really that much better than athlon in games? like would it increase performance if i upgraded from a athlon x2 245 to a phenom X2 BE 555

That depends on a. the games you play and b. the graphics card you have. However, if you plan to upgrade, the difference would not be worth the cost. If you plan to upgrade, upgrade to a phenom IIx3 or better.

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
well i mostly do gaming (rts and rpg games) like would the 555 or the one you recomended improve performance in. sup com 2 (starcraft 2 when it comes out) WoW and medivel 2 total war and napeleon total war

ares1214

Splendid
most games dont use more than 2 cores, but we are getting a lot more 4 core games that are coming out. so for future proofing, a quad core is definitely a good idea. oc the 635 to 3.4 GHz+, and u have a very nice gamer too.

ares1214

Splendid
dragon age origins, bfbc2, devil may cry 4, flight simulator x, company of heroes, supreme commander. a lot more games can use more than 2 cores however, i believe DiRT and farcry to name a few. but im not saying all games use 4 cores now, im saying a lot of new games that will be released in the near future will.

IF you want the l3 cache then the X3 720 (link is to US site but .ca has it for $106.99CA) is a good choice - it is a triple core processor so is better than a dual core and some can be unlocked to a quad core and has the full 6mb of l3 cache of the PII CPUs (so when used as a triple core has more cache than the quad core PIIs) -- just remember this is an OEM CPU and therefore has a limited warranty and no Heatsink\Fan included (but you don't really want a stock hs\fan anyway !) and for $107 Ca is a good buy for the performance.

ares1214

Splendid
im not saying you cant, you can game with a single core if u really wanted to. however when u can get a quad core for 99$ vs. a dual core for 99$, id take the quad. not only can u just oc the quad for equal gaming as the dual, or better. and new games and programs are starting to be able to utilize quads. so the question isnt why buy the 635, the question is why wouldnt you?

ares1214

Splendid
thats fair, but i thought u were saying go with the 555 over the 635. and actually, for some reason i believe the 440 can unlock into a quad core, and be labeled as a 940. so as far as price to performance goes, the 440 or 635 is definitely the way to go.