Sign in with
Your question

I7 980? i7 930? i7 960!?

Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2010 7:51:40 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm kind of stuck and have been looking for a clear answer all over the net about what would be the best long term for a gaming CPU that will NOT bottleneck with x2 nvidia 480s ? My goal is to have this PC last 3-4 years and maybe do 3D gaming as well. So to the point of this! which CPU would be better for this set up? using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard, i7 980? i7 930? i7 960? Will i be doing any overclocking? not a lot. this will just be for online games like the new Final fantasy and non online games along with everyday stuff also incl blu ray movies.

Any input would be great everyone. Thank you for your time!

More about : 980 930 960

a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 12:58:23 AM

First, I would not recommend buying for the future.
Second, No CPU over $300 is worth it cost/performance wise. You could save money getting the bare minimum you need now and upgrading both your CPU and motherboard down the road.

That said, I would recommend the i7 920, or the 930 if the price is close. You can probably do a minor overclock to 3.2GHz without having to play with the voltage settings.

Of course, if you have money to literally burn, then spend $700 more on the i7 980X.
July 3, 2010 1:06:51 AM

Thank you for your input! Your right Future... pfft ! i just want something what will be great for games and not bottleneck really. the 3D is a long shot for right now but do you think with the x2 480s there would be any bottleneck with say a 930?

Again thank you !
a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 1:13:33 AM

Just from my experience, I can't see anything noticeable, if at all bottlenecking wise.

If you want to be absolutely sure, and specific to the games you play, you can wait for tom's next installment of "Building a Balanced Gaming PC". Part 3 does not include the new fermi cards, but the next one will.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...
!