Problem with Folder Redirection (latency problem)

Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi all,

I have been trying out folder redirection to solve slow logon times on
our network.

I have redirected users "My Documents", "Desktop" and "Application
Data" folders.

Everything works fine, apart from users reporting that using MS Office
Apps is sluggish. For example, when opening a Word document they have
to wait 15 seconds after the document appears before they can position
the cursor in it or edit it.

I have tried the following to solve it:-

Just redirecting "My Documents" and "Desktop" and leaving "Application
Data" local.
Changing the file locations set in Word to all point to locations on C
drive.
Enabling Offline folders on the redirected folders (auto-caching for
documents)
Installing SP1 (WinXP) and SP3 (OfficeXP)

None of these things have solved the problem.

It must be related to bandwidth because this problem only occurss when
accessing the redirected folders over a 2MBit WAN link.

Users without folder redirection enabled do no sufferer from these
sluggishness/latency problems when accessing files over the 2Mbit
link.

I was hoping someone reading this might know of possible
causes/solutions to the problem.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce" wrote:

[X-Posting w/o F'up2 trimmed]

> Everything works fine, apart from users reporting that using MS Office
> Apps is sluggish. For example, when opening a Word document they have
> to wait 15 seconds after the document appears before they can position
> the cursor in it or edit it.

See if this article applies:
"Files on network shares open slowly, opens as read-only, or you receive
an error message"

--
d-d

--