Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTS250 with 300w power supply, will this work???

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Power Supplies
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2010 2:48:15 AM

Hi everyone

I'm a new member, this is my first post but i have been reading for a long time.

I am currently trying to build a computer on the cheap which i will use for assignments + gaming.

I have put together the following after doing some research however i wanted to pick everyones brains to see if it would all work.

300w power supply
AMD ATHLON II X2 240 2.8Ghz AM3
POV GTS250 1GB, 740/2000MHz
Asus M4A785T-M AM3 HT5200 4DDR3 PCIE2.0 RAID GLAN mATX
OCZ 2G DDR3 800 PC3 6400MHz Gold Series

Will this system run with a 300w power supply? and is any element of it a significant bottleneck or significantly too powerful?

Thanks in advance everyone.

More about : gts250 300w power supply work

a c 289 ) Power supply
April 25, 2010 3:00:06 AM

What 300W unit? There are some seasonic units that might be able to do it, but the vast majority of 300W units will blow pretty quickly. The PSU calculator tells you what your bare minimum is recommends atleast 302W so no a 300W unit is not going to run it for long.

Get a good 500-550W unit that will last you for many years so you dont have to upgrade the PSU as soon as you want to upgrade the system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 25, 2010 3:06:44 AM

Thanks for your reply hunter, i have kept looking and found that i can get a case + 480w power supply for cheaper than the last case i was looking at! I realise that probably means less quality but honestly i just need something that runs at the moment. My budget is extremely limited.

Anyone have any thoughts on the rest of the system? Is the video card too powerful for the cpu or vice versa?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 289 ) Power supply
April 25, 2010 3:09:27 AM

Dont EVER buy a case with a PSU, there are only a couple exceptions to this rule, and they are all from Antec. 90% of PSUs packed with cases are cheap because they are crap!

Get a decent PSU with atleast a 5 year warranty, but it separately so you know exactly what you are getting. The case and PSU are the only things that shouldnt need an upgrade for the next 5 years, consider them an investment as the rest of the rig will need to be upgraded or replaced in a few years, but the PSU really shouldnt.
April 25, 2010 3:30:13 AM

Hmm... ok thanks hunter i will keep looking and try and find a decent priced good quality psu and case.

newegg really isn't an option as i am in australia, but we have a couple stores that are like newegg and offer good prices.
m
l
May 5, 2010 11:36:47 AM

Best answer selected by cicohipe.
m
l
!