obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
So the other day I had a thread and came to the conclusion it was my psu..but now im not so sure because the psu works if i jump it or if i have it plugged into everything except the 4 port mobo slot thing or the cd/rw drive. What is the problem

Ok Quick Update: I put everything back in place. I can get everything in the computer to start up if it is plugged into the psu like fans/hd/leds BUT the computer like short circuits if it is plugged into either the CD/RW or the 4 Connecter Mobo port. I have it plugged into the 24/20 thing on the mobo and the green light comes on and everything starts up, but it will not start up if its in the 4 port or the cd/rw drive, What are the problems im looking at here?

EDIT: I plugged in an old 300w psu from an old compaq and everything in the computer starts up fine no matter what it is plugged into im so confused as to what the problem can be..HELP PLEASE

Edit 2: If i pluf the 300w psu into the cd/rw it works and starts up fine but it short circuits on the 680w that it is usually on

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
So the actual connectors can be bad? Thats what im wondering..and will the 300w damage my machine?

I got:

945 quad core phenom II
gts 250 (ill take out untill i get a new psu)
500gb hd
and 4gb ddr3 1600

If you take out the gts 250 and don't overclock the phenom, it won't hurt to try running your pc with the 300w until you replace the ps. If you can't get an rma, I suggest selling it on craigslist and getting another brand. I try to use antec, seasonic, ocz, enermax, corsair, or pc power and cooling. Seasonic and ocz also manufacture several other brands. Corsair is the best for gamers, having up to 60 amps on a single 12v rail. If your new ps has an 8 pin connector and your board only needs 4, you can separate 4 pins to use. Just be sure they are the right ones. They will slide in easily and only fit one way.