BSOD after long periods of being shut off????

kreativedesines

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hello,
when my computer has been on for a few hours everything runs flawlessly, but after i shut it down, like when i go to bed, when i try to turn it on the next day i always get BSODs, then after letting the computer sit there while being on for about an hour and a half everything starts to work fine again. i tried doing a memory test and it said there was a hardware failure, but this only happened once, ive ran it a couple other times and i havent gotten any errors since. im not sure if its the ram, the psu, or maybe a dead cmos battery
my specs:
Mobo; Asus M4N68T-M V2
Ram; 4gb corsair dominator 1600mhz
processor; AMD athlon ii x4 645
Graphics; ATI HD6870
PSU; Extreme Gear 700w ATX

please help me try to find out whats going on.

Solution
If CMOS battery is dead, you lose your BIOS settings that make your computer run flawlessly. But once you lose them, you cannot rerun your computer flawlessly until you restore the settings to previous values.

In your case, your computer runs flawlessly again once it starts. Therefore, there should be something different.

Do you shut your computer down through the start menu shutdown button or do you also turn the switch off at the back of the PSU ?

Anyway,

A) I am guessing it may be a hardware failure.

1) A capacitor on the motherboard or several of them have failed such that they cannot hold charge. It takes some time to recharge and become fully operational after you start your computer.

2) CPU fan is not starting at the...
Disable the automatic restart
Right-click on Computer, select Properties - Advanced System Settings - Advanced tab - Startup and Recovery- settings System Failure uncheck the box.
The read the BSOD stop code and write it in here (what's after Stop: 0000000x....etc

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If CMOS battery is dead, you lose your BIOS settings that make your computer run flawlessly. But once you lose them, you cannot rerun your computer flawlessly until you restore the settings to previous values.

In your case, your computer runs flawlessly again once it starts. Therefore, there should be something different.

Do you shut your computer down through the start menu shutdown button or do you also turn the switch off at the back of the PSU ?

Anyway,

A) I am guessing it may be a hardware failure.

1) A capacitor on the motherboard or several of them have failed such that they cannot hold charge. It takes some time to recharge and become fully operational after you start your computer.

2) CPU fan is not starting at the first attempt.

B) I am guessing it may be software problem. A cold bootup failure.

I was having a similar issue. I updated my BIOS several times until my motherboard stopped doing it. I have P7P55D and Intel i7-860.

Solution

GHok

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
This thread is old, but I think I'm having the exact same problem and I'm also curious on how to fix it. It's been happening to me for over a year now!

My computer runs fine, perfect even... but if I turn it off even for just a short period of time, it will BSOD like crazy. It can't even get into Windows, it'll crash before it can do so. The reasons change. It'll say the system volume is corrupt, it'll say the memory is corrupt, whatever. You can try to run startup repair but that'll either fix nothing or it'll encounter an error as well, and also crash.

As the OP said, after a little while, it usually just starts working again. You can go through the crash cycle dozens of times, and eventually it'll just start working. Often I do this by trying to boot into Safe Mode, and if I can successfully do this, all I have to do is shut down the computer via the start menu and then all my problems are gone... until I need to turn it off again.

Can't figure it out. I've even formatted the computer once and it STILL does it.

kreativedesines

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

You basically described my exact problem, that i was, and still am, having!!!!
I have pretty much learned to just live with it, considering that it seems like a pretty rare occurrence and there is like nothing on google to help with this problem. i have learned a pretty quick method to getting it to boot normal again. once i turn the computer on and the white and black menu comes up to choose between "safe mode" and "Start windows normally" (or whatever it says) i just leave my computer on that screen for about 5-10 minutes, then turn the power off and then righ back on, and once it gets to the selection screen again, i just turn it right back off, then right back on again. i repeat this process for about 5 or 6 cycles, as if to almost flush out all of the problems that are causing it to BSOD. then after about the 5th or so time (depending on my confidence) i actually select start windows normally and it works fine.

also, i have learned that just putting my computer in sleep, instead of completely off, it does not happen when i wake it up. so i just sleep my computer when i leave somewhere. unless im going to be gone for a period of days, in that case i will actually turn it completely off, and just run through the procedures once i turn it back on.

i've been doing this for, well pretty much right after i posted the question on here, and havent had to go through the trouble of having to format my hard drive due to corruption, like i did multiple times before i figured it out.

i have pretty much came to the conclusion that it is MOST likely a bad MOBO (because i upgraded my RAM, and it didnt stop the problem) but i just havent really wanted to take the time to replace it.

Hope this helps, i know how frustrating it gets.

Jouleman

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
I got the same problem, what I do is remove the memory module when I go to rest at night and the next day in the morning reattach the memory module and my pc works just fine.

Regards