Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp home repair install

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 9, 2013 7:58:42 PM

I am doing a windows xp home repair install. I get the hang at 35 minutes left, installing devices. I have removed or disabled most everything hardware wise, I can find except the keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drive and one cd-rom, as was suggested in other searches. It still hangs up at the same spot. In the setuplog.txt I see messages of SetupOpenInfFile failed and about 17 oem*.inf files missing. Any ideas on how to finish this repair install?

More about : windows home repair install

January 9, 2013 10:39:58 PM

try a different disk
m
l
January 10, 2013 1:25:15 AM

FALC0N said:
try a different disk

I have the original Reinstallation bootable CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home, including service pack 1a, CD which came with the DELL 4600 Dimension desktop. I have also tried a copy of the CD which I made in case the disk itself was scratched, etc, and I also used the original CD to make a SP3 slipstream CD. The SP3 does not even get as far as the original. It gets hung up with a fatal error saying it doesn't have all the catalog informatio for setup. What kind of disk do you suggest in this situation, where I am trying to complete a repair install, not a new, fresh install?

I also have the other DELL disks that came with the machine, such as device drivers, diagnostics, etc.

m
l
January 10, 2013 2:28:53 AM

Any OEM version of XP will work. Any computer shop would have one. You could also find another dell xp disk somewhere.

You can test if this is a disk problem by testing the current install cd on another machine, if you have access to a dummy unit you could use.
m
l
!