Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

External Drive Issue

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 4, 2012 2:08:26 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a problem here that I can get my head around, right, I have a Verbatim store 'n' go 320GB external hard drive. The drive is self powered and doesn't require any external power. It works fine on my two laptops, my sons desktop, my work computer and basically any computer I plug it in to.

The problem I have is when I plug it in to my desktop, if I use the front USB ports the thing just beeps. Okay, so the front ports doesn't always have the same power as the back ones. So i use the back ports... The thing just connects and disconnects, connects and disconnects, you get the picture.


Any ideas?


What have i tried?


Ive reinstalled windows on another partition, same thing. Ive booted in to Linux Mint, same thing. Ive updated my BIOS, no luck.

I just can't get my head around this one. I'm using the supplied cable if anyone might think I'm using a old 1.0 cable...

My specs?

MOBO: Asus Striker Extreme 680i
OS: Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
PSU: 650w Corsair
Memory: 4Gb Ballistix Tracer
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core (not overclocked after BIOS Flash)


More about : external drive issue

a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 2:25:53 PM

Looks like the power circuitry is about to fail in the drive. I would try to hook it up to a powered USB hub and backup the Data on it if possible. That is if the Data is important.
m
0
l
a c 179 G Storage
June 4, 2012 2:34:08 PM

Since the drive works everywhere else, I would not think the fault is with the drive.

As a USB powered device, I think it is not getting the power it needs from the motherboard.

Perhaps installing a motherboard expansion card that has powered usb outputs will do the trick.
Seems pricey, but something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
June 4, 2012 2:41:48 PM

rolli59 said:
Looks like the power circuitry is about to fail in the drive. I would try to hook it up to a powered USB hub and backup the Data on it if possible. That is if the Data is important.


But i don't have any problems on any other machine...
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 4:26:36 PM

jpfourie said:
But i don't have any problems on any other machine...

Missed that in your original post. Then the problem is with the motherboard or with your PSU not supplying enough on the 5 volts to the USB.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 4:56:33 PM

rolli59 said:
Missed that in your original post. Then the problem is with the motherboard or with your PSU not supplying enough on the 5 volts to the USB.


Sorry I never mentioned that it worked when i first got it, made backup of my photos and when i wanted to update my photos again the trouble started...
I should've mentioned it cause it quite important to know.
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 5:04:01 PM

I would check the 5 volt output on the PSU that it is with in ATX specs.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 5:07:43 PM

unplug the drive

click start > right click on "my computer" (xp) or "computer" (7) and select manage

click on device manager > look for universal serial bus controllers

if you see any "unknown device" or verbatim

right click on in and select unistall

plug in drive and windows should load it
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 5:36:53 PM

the great randini said:
unplug the drive

click start > right click on "my computer" (xp) or "computer" (7) and select manage

click on device manager > look for universal serial bus controllers

if you see any "unknown device" or verbatim

right click on in and select unistall

plug in drive and windows should load it



I tried it, no luck... :fou: 
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 5:53:20 PM

rolli59 said:
I would check the 5 volt output on the PSU that it is with in ATX specs.


Voltage Monitor=

Vcore Voltage: 1.29v
Memory V: 1.88v
1.2v HT V: 1.26v
NB V: 1.24v
SB V: 1.53v
CPU VTT V: 1.28v
DDR2 Termination V: 0.94v
3.3V: 2.8v
5V: 4.54v
12v: 11.52V
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 6:08:44 PM

Those voltages on the rails are low, if you can confirm with a multi meter which will give accurate reading. It can be done on a spare molex connector yellow and black for +12 volts and red and black for +5 volts which are the important voltages. Might be the first indication of a failing PSU.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 8:00:54 PM

rolli59 said:
Those voltages on the rails are low, if you can confirm with a multi meter which will give accurate reading. It can be done on a spare molex connector yellow and black for +12 volts and red and black for +5 volts which are the important voltages. Might be the first indication of a failing PSU.


Okay i had a multi-meter on it... 18.25v and 7.5v...

That reading had nothing (screen, keyboard.......) plugged in.
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 8:05:31 PM

I would replace that PSU ASAP but then again those readings are very high (sort of unbelievable).
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 8:17:37 PM

rolli59 said:
I would replace that PSU ASAP but then again those readings are very high (sort of unbelievable).

Yeah it seemed a bit strange, so i tested a few molex plugs just to double check... Do you think i have a bad PSU? I have no other problems with my PC apart form this.
I'm running two 8800GTX on it with no hassle.
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 8:24:16 PM

Well if the PSU is putting out 18.5 volts on the +12 volts it is way out of specs and can damage components.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 8:43:59 PM

rolli59 said:
Well if the PSU is putting out 18.5 volts on the +12 volts it is way out of specs and can damage components.


Could i have a dodgy multi-meter? Just asking, cause speed fan and the BIOS has a reading of 11.5v?
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 8:45:42 PM

Possible! It is set correctly for DC volts? You could try it on a car battery usually around 13volts there and close to 14 when running.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 8:47:18 PM

rolli59 said:
Well if the PSU is putting out 18.5 volts on the +12 volts it is way out of specs and can damage components.


Or could i get a high reading like that cause i had no load on it?
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 8:49:09 PM

You are doing this with the PC running right? Load should not be an issue with quality PSU.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 8:55:44 PM

rolli59 said:
You are doing this with the PC running right? Load should not be an issue with quality PSU.


Yes PC was running but nothing was plugged in to it. Do you still think this is the reason why i cant get my external drive to work?
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 9:04:15 PM

Yes I believe so because the USB is not giving the required power.
m
0
l
June 4, 2012 9:09:17 PM

rolli59 said:
Yes I believe so because the USB is not giving the required power.


Thanks for all your help today, one more thing... Is there any way I can double check if my PSU is dodgy before i replace it?
m
0
l
a c 179 G Storage
June 4, 2012 9:14:54 PM

Your motherboard is an older unit, and it may not have been designed for self powered usb drives.

Another solution might be to remove the drive from your self powered enclosure and put it in a wall powered enclosure.

Perhaps $20 or so.

There are also self powered enclosures that use one usb for power, and another for data.
That might be appropriate if you need to use a laptop exclusively for power.
m
0
l
a c 265 G Storage
June 4, 2012 9:18:59 PM

If your multi meter is telling the truth then it is, your motherboard monitor is reporting low voltages which quite the opposite in the lower range on the +12volts and under on 5V and 3.3V of the ATX specs which is +/-5% of rated.
3.3v= 3.135-3.465V
5v= 4.75-5.25V
12= 11.4-12.6V
m
0
l
!