Wondering if my PSU is DOA...

G

Hello all. I am building my first pc and have already run into a problem. So my problem is "My PSU (hec HP485D 485W) = DOA?" I have bought all of the necessary components except for the memory and here is the list:

CPU: Athlon II X3 435 (Rana, thinking about unlocking the fourth or at least thinking about an attempt)
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce GT 240 512MB (GT240XYHFC)
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (I plan on getting this)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA
Disc Drive: LG something something not very important
Monitor: Hanns·G HW-191APB Black 19" Widescreen (plan on getting this)
Case: HEC Blitz Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
PSU: hec HP485D 485W

Back to the problem, I've assembled all, but the RAM. I am aware that a computer will not run without RAM. What I want to know is whether my PSU is DOA, so I can order a new one along with the memory and the monitor.

Alright, this is what occurs. I plug the power cord into the PSU and an outlet, then I turn on the PSU via a switch. Afterwards, I press the front panel power switch. I think there should be some beeping that occurs, but none so far. However, I do notice a faint sound that I would described as "tweet" a few seconds after flipping the on switch of the PSU. So any thoughts about my problem, or the build.

Well, thank you for your time and consideration. Have a wonderful day.

Solution
If the fans do not spin then you certainly do have a problem, having the RAM installed or not should not make any difference. The chances are as this is a new build is that the power supply is fine but that you have a short circuit somewhere. I suggest taking everything out of the case and building the computer on the desk. Remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid, only fit the minimum required to start the power supply at first, that is just the motherboard and the power supply without any cards or even the processor and if the power supply starts add one component at a time.
G

I may not have mentioned it, but I have yet to buy the RAM yet. I agree with your idea. So, I'd definitely have the RAM in the motherboard, if I'd bought it.

If the fans do not spin then you certainly do have a problem, having the RAM installed or not should not make any difference. The chances are as this is a new build is that the power supply is fine but that you have a short circuit somewhere. I suggest taking everything out of the case and building the computer on the desk. Remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid, only fit the minimum required to start the power supply at first, that is just the motherboard and the power supply without any cards or even the processor and if the power supply starts add one component at a time.

Solution
G

Thank you much for the lesson, pjmelect. I'll try it out asap.

G

Update: Fans did not spin when 4-pin and 20-pin of the PSU were plugged into corresponding locations on the motherboard; thus, I conclude that the PSU is DOA.

blakeyon2asd

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Make sure you have the ram plugged in or nothing will happen as far as the computer starting, but you also need to make sure everything is plugged in and that the case fans and the cpu fan is coming on. Also it will not make beeping noise unless you have an error code speaker plugged into or on you motherboard. Also if do get cpu fans, and case fans spining it just the fact that you don't have any ram plugged into the motherboard.

If you do not have memory installed, you should get a continuous series of long beeps if your PSU, motherboard, and CPU are working properly - assuming that you do have a system speaker installed.

shovenose, the only reason to leave the RAM out is for testing a non-working system.