Solved

Entry level gaming machine

After receiving some advice on the forums, and reading the monthly best graphics cards and cpu's i have put together a package that i think will offer good entry level gaming performance while allowing for easy upgradability.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785T-M - $89
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 - $73
Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz - $69
Power supply: Huntkey 550watt - $39
Case: ASUS TA-K51 VENTO - $49
Video card: ASUS EAH 4670 512MB - $69
HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache - $49

+ media keyboard + usb pen drive

Total: $481.00

All prices are in Australian dollars

By going with AMD i can upgrade to the latest and greatest phenom down the track and also upgrade to a better video card and better/more ram.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about entry level gaming machine
  1. Hello.

The power supply you selected in not good, you shouldn't buy cheap no name PSU's but instead go for brands such as Antec and Corsair. A good power supply which won't cost you too much is an "Antec NEO 450W" which are around $65, however when you want to upgrade your computer you will most likely have to get a new PSU. If you are willing to spend the money so you don't have to upgrade the PSU then maybe an "Antec NEO 620W" for $95 would be better.

You could save some money on your CPU buy going for the "Athlon II X2 240" as it only has a lower clock speed so it will not have much less performance yet it is $15 cheaper. But still it would be better if you could fork out the $25 for the Athlon II X4 as then you won't have to upgrade your processor if you upgraded your video card.

Are you sure you don't want to get a 500GB HDD for only about $5 more?

Appart from that it looks pretty good for a budget build.

I'm not sure where you live but gocomp.com.au allows you to pick-up form their Brisbane store and they have very good prices.

Hope I helped.
  2. Cheers punk! i'm checking out gocomp now actually, i have been looking at gamedude and umart, gocomp seems very competitive though and they are close to me too. I had actually already changed my specs to a 500g hdd and changed the power supply after reading more info about huntkey. I decided on a 430w thermaltake psu which is only $10 more.

I'll take your advice and look into either downgrading or upgrading the cpu too
  3. Best answer
    Glad I could help, I have some thoughts about that PSU (Thermaltake 430W), Thermaltake PSU's are good don't get me wrong, but that one breaks that rule. I remember a few months ago I was looking up the PSU as I was very intrigued by its cheap price yet good brand name. I forgot what I found but it wasn't good, I'll look again to see what I can find.

Just as I though, I searched it in google (Thermaltake 430W review) and found some nice stuff to change your mind.

The first few posts here some it up:
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=284914

And if you are still have cold feet about not getting this PSU here is a detailed review of the PSU:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332
    Just read the conclusion if your slack (thats what I did).

Hopefully that changed your mind about that PSU, pitty you can't even trust the Thermaltake name, from principal I won't buy off them for it.

Glad I help.
  4. Best answer selected by cicohipe.
  5. Wow cheers mate, i think i'll spend an extra 10-20 on psu and go with antec. Antec is always safe.... i hope
  6. Glad I could help, good luck with your build mate.

Thanks for best answer.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems