Systray?

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I just put together a computer from old parts lying around. I repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive (from a Compaq, if that makes a difference), and installed Windows Me with no difficulty. When it was done and I booted into windows from the hard drive for the first time, it booted fine. Installed drivers without a hitch. Installed a couple of games (it's for my kid, so it's just kid games), they ran fine. Basically the thing runs fine. However, I noticed that there is no speaker icon in the system tray, and upon "control+alt+delete", reveals "Explorer" running in the background but no "Systray". Isn't that normally running in the background? Again, the system runs fine for what it's for; but I <i>do</i> want to know why my install of windows wasn't exactly as expected. Systray runs in the background on my computer (I didn't install the os), and I'm running Me as well. I guess one problem is that I don't have the speaker icon that would allow me to adjust the speaker volume.

System specs?
Celeron 633/66fsb
PCChips Mobo w/ onboard c-media sound, onboard graphics chip, onboard- well, everything is onboard!

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try Start/settings/control panel/Multimedia, then look to see if there is a check next to (Show volume on the taskbar). What kind of soundcard do you use?

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Hey Negaverse23, thanks for the tip! I had no idea that option was there.
And for what it's worth, for some reason, Systray has shown up! Unfortunately, a couple of other things have also shown up, running in the background; DSSAgent and cmmpu, whatever those are. All in all, my very first <i>total</i> system build was pretty fun! I've always wondered how it was done. Now I know... :wink:

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
DSSagent is a little spyware that usually comes with software made by Broderbund and other kids software. Not sure about the other though.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>