Must Select Operating System

I had to re-install XP Pro. I did a full disc format. Now, whenever I boot
up XP, I get the message:

Please select the Operating System to start.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

When I select the first occurrence, XP will boot up fine. Selecting the
second occurrence results in an error message stating that the OS is
invalid.

Would anyone know why it shows XP Pro twice? Is there any way I can get rid
of this message? I have formatted and r-einstalled XP twice and after each
install this message shows. Thanks for any advice.
3 answers Last reply
More about must select operating system

    Hi

    Please see if the following article by Michael Stevens helps:

    "I have two installations of XP on the same partition, how do I remove the
    one I don't need?"
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#two

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    smtjs wrote:
    > I had to re-install XP Pro. I did a full disc format. Now, whenever I boot
    > up XP, I get the message:
    >
    > Please select the Operating System to start.
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >
    > When I select the first occurrence, XP will boot up fine. Selecting the
    > second occurrence results in an error message stating that the OS is
    > invalid.
    >
    > Would anyone know why it shows XP Pro twice? Is there any way I can get rid
    > of this message? I have formatted and r-einstalled XP twice and after each
    > install this message shows. Thanks for any advice.

    Graphically:

    From within WinXP, Start > Run > Msconfig, Boot.ini Tab > "Check all
    Boot Paths."

    Manually:

    1) Click Start > Run, Type "Cmd" and then press <Enter>.

    2) Type "Cd\" and then press <Enter>

    3) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini -h -r -s" and then press <Enter>

    4) Click Start > Run, Type "Notepad c:\boot.ini" and then press <Enter>

    5) Edit the file to removed the extraneous line, save it, and then exit
    Notepad.

    6) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini +h +r +s" and then press <Enter>

    7) Close the command console.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    See FAQ #20 here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
    Plain text version: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/twoxp.txt

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "smtjs" <smtjs1remove@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23DwZgCo8EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    I had to re-install XP Pro. I did a full disc format. Now, whenever I boot
    up XP, I get the message:

    Please select the Operating System to start.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    When I select the first occurrence, XP will boot up fine. Selecting the
    second occurrence results in an error message stating that the OS is
    invalid.

    Would anyone know why it shows XP Pro twice? Is there any way I can get rid
    of this message? I have formatted and r-einstalled XP twice and after each
    install this message shows. Thanks for any advice.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP