Trouble installing new memory

hkreuz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I recently decided to upgrade my memory from DDR2 to DDR3. I took out the DDR2 and put in the DDR3. Once I installed it i booted up my computer and got nothing but a black screen. I cant get into the bios, there is no beeping. Nothing I replaced the old memory and it boots up fine.

This is a link to the new memory I purchased(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277)
This is a link to my motherboard(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131188)
I am also running an e8400 processor and a radeon 3870x2 video card.

Currently this is the only way I can get my computer to boot up using the DDR3 ram. It does not let me change DDR3 settings without the DDR3 in the computer, and since i cannot boot with the DDR3, i have to have both DDR3 and DDR2 in at the same time.

1) I have both the DDR2 and DDR3 ram in at the same time.
2) I start the computer and go to the bios.
3) I change the DRAM freq to DDR1333.
4) I save and turn off my computer.
5) I remove the DDR2 ram.
6) I start my computer.
7) It tells me that overclocking has failed and i have two choices, to go to my bios or load default values.
8) I load default values and windows boots up, but if I restart my computer I am back to the black screen.

When I load up the computer with both the DDR2 and DDR3 and go to my system information, it doesn't even detect the DDR3. Once i change the frequency and remove the DDR2, it detects it. I'm thinking theres some problem with my bios not detecting the DDR3 but i'm not sure how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

hkreuz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
You apparently did not read my post all the way through or I did not make it clear. It does not work with only the DDR3. It only works with the old ram, or both. My motherboard is not detecting that ANY DDR3 is even in my computer, hence why it is working while having the DDR2 and the DDR3 in at the same time. The only way I can get it to detect the DDR3 is by having both of them in, changing my DDR3 settings manually, and then taking the DDR2 out. I tried to make this as clear as possible by the step by step process I listed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You were not clear as your original message implies that you did have both types installed and then removed the DDR3 and then had the option boot with default values.....Regardless, that doesn't matter.

Try this, power down the system and disconnect all power sources (monitor, speakers, power cable). Push the power button to discharge any residual power remaining in the system (yes, it is true). Not, either jumper the BIOS reset or remove the CMOS/BIOS battery (a.k.a. coin battery). Wait 30 seconds. With only the DDR3 memory installed, reverse these instructions and try to restart. You should now be at the default BIOS config.

Don't OC anything, just try to boot your system.

If this fails, it is possible that your DDR3 is not compatible with your mobo - OR - your mobo and/or DDR3 memory were damaged by having the DDR2 abd DDR3 installed at the same time.

Good luck!

hkreuz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I tried that and booted up and it said bad checksum values. Go to bios or load default values. I loaded default and my PC worked fine. I restarted and once again could not boot. It just went to the black screen.

For some reason my bios is having trouble recognizing I even have DDR3 slots.

hkreuz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
My boot settings are still set to my harddrive. It's something with it not recognizing my DDR3 slots. So my computer thinks there is no memory at all when I boot it up.

hkreuz

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I called asus tech suport. The first guy I spoke to told me that it's impossible for memory running at higher speeds to run at a lower speed(the memory I bought is 1600 and my board only supports 1333) Then he proceeded to call me stupid. The second guy I talked to had no idea what the problem was. And the third person I talked to was actually going to help me and then hung up.

I'm just going to use my ddr2 until next week and I will buy a new mobo/sandy bridge that way I dont have this terrible asus product in my computer anymore.