Sign in with
Your question

Multi GPU and Display Setting

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2010 5:17:05 PM

My company is going to build some machines for one of our customers. It's for a the game flight Simulator X. He need to have multi-Display on the computer because he need to have serval deshboards displayed on screens including 3 screen for main windows from right side view, middle view, and left side view; another 2 or 3 for some other deshboards like radar, electronic controls...

we are planing to get a motherboard with 3 PCI-e and 3 video cards, either from ATI or Nvidia depends on the price and perrformance.

My question is, to do all the requirements i mentioned above, Can we still run Cross fire or SLI on the system? (i acutally dont really think so, because we are talking about SLi or Cross fire mode on at two or more than two screen if we do so) I did some search on Internet that Nvidia's 180 or later driver supports SLI on two Screens. Its only two screens and it causes performance lost.

If we can not do SLI or Cross fire mode, and have to step back to normal mode. What is the best way for us to setup the whole thing? Do we have to do all 3 video with same GPU or we can just do a Strong one for primary display and rendering? and take two weaker one for multi-display? thank you all!!
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 6:56:25 PM

You actually can push that many displays off of a single graphics card now, and you can even crossfire more than one card together to do that. You'll have to wait a little bit yet for the ATI Radeon HD 5870 eyefinity version (supports up to 6 displays using displayport on a single GPU). The current versions of the cards can support up to 3 displays per card, still using at least 1 displayport connection. Probably your best bet is to wait until the 5870 eyefinity edition comes out and get one of them, crossfire it with another 5870 and you should be good to go running 6 displayport displays. Nvidia still does not have the capability of running more than 2 displays per adapter.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:14:35 PM

flyinfinni said:
You actually can push that many displays off of a single graphics card now, and you can even crossfire more than one card together to do that. You'll have to wait a little bit yet for the ATI Radeon HD 5870 eyefinity version (supports up to 6 displays using displayport on a single GPU). The current versions of the cards can support up to 3 displays per card, still using at least 1 displayport connection. Probably your best bet is to wait until the 5870 eyefinity edition comes out and get one of them, crossfire it with another 5870 and you should be good to go running 6 displayport displays. Nvidia still does not have the capability of running more than 2 displays per adapter.

Thank you for the advice, I do understand that i can get more than 2 displays on one card now, but my question still is, is there any way to run cross fire on so many displays? It might be easy if I only have one or two monitor with two video card. I can run Cross fire with no problem. Let say this, two video card, two DVIs on each of them. totally four, I do know that if i enable the cross fire, the two DVIs on the secondry video will not have output. right? so what Happen if i have 3 video cards with total 6 ports then have the cross fire enabled?

another one is , I believe the primary card will be the only card does rendering if we dont enable the cross fire, all other displays will be used for extending the desktop.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 7:19:59 PM

If you run 3 cards with 2x DVI connections on each and crossfire them, then you will only have 2 display outputs. With Crossfire/SLI enabled, you can only ever use the outputs from a single card. However, with ATI's new cards, you can use crossfire and still use all 3 or 6 display outputs from the main card. It will require Displayport capable displays, but you could still run all 6 displays you are wanting to use.

Yes- if you are not crossfired, I believe only the first card will be rendering the flight sim, though I've never used or seen that type of setup used.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:35:25 PM

the New tech on New ATi card is intersting... it would be great if we can have 6 displays on the primary card and still have the cross fire enabled with the secondry card. could that be possible though? i mean 6 display plus cross fire. wondering how does the graphic content get splited to the two video cards and output to 6 monitors.

the coustomer wants it that way, He actually did it already, 3 main monitors for the front windows of the plane from left to right, 3 more for some other panels like rader, some small controls. The demo looks fantastic, it has two joysticks ,keyboard, mouse, sorrounding sound, comfy chair that can move back and forward. also great setting for gaming. i wish i can show you a picture.
m
l
March 30, 2010 9:01:34 PM

nice link...very helpful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 9:05:23 PM

no problem.
m
l
!