Does PAL or NTSC on xbox 360 Matters with my HD LCD with HDMI

NajamQ

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I am planning on buying a XBox360 but very confused on selection of PAL or NTSC standard. I want to use HDMI to connect the console to my 1080p LCD. The LCD is 60hz.

Please throw some light on it. Thanks.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
All I know is that I live in an NTSC country and my TV has a "just scan" option ... for program format.

Likewise ... Any computer monitor that can scan at 60 Hz can also scan at 50 Hz IF is has autosynch ...

... Doesn't matter who is right ... plug it in and find out for yourself ... I just asked about the model to see what selection options there might be and if the scanning was selected automatically or manually.

It won't catch fire or damage anything to try it ... the signal voltage is the same level ... if it can't scan you will see garbage ... or the TV might say "no signal"

= Al =

NajamQ

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
@Alvin

Please read the first post again, carefully this time. I clearly says its a 60z LCD. Viewsonic VX2433 for being exact. My country is PAL region.

The Question however is not about how fast an LCD can be. sure it can run at 50Hz too because its not CRT so it doesn't matter.

The real confusion is when HDMI is used, digital signal is transmitted instead of Analogue. Does a conversion takes place somewhere and does it matter.

I am asking this because PAL xbox is available about 30$ cheaper than its NTSC brother.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Oh ... I get you, now.

Prolly should not have answered, then, because I can only guess ... But since I am already here, I'll take a stab ... ("Gee, thanks!") ...

I am going to (prolly rightly) guess that the HDMI digital protocol *should* be transparent , to the user and that any monitor which might have a native HDMI (not adapter) would certainly be able to decipher and properly display any display format which uses HDMI ... I mean ... PFC power supplies adjust to whatever country they are shipped to ... a global standard.

I see that you do not have the luxury to "just try it" but, I will (really!) bet you $5(USD) that it WILL work, just fine (if the mon is native HDMI).

The real prob would be if the xBOX will only route the sound thru EITHER the analog port OR the HDMI ... How is (IF) the audio portion of the HDMI handled and does the audio mirror, concurrently, thru the analog RCA or 1/8" mini-jack. ???

= IDK = Sorry ... I'll sit back and learn from the REAL studs.

NajamQ

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
No, Its ok. I am sorry for being a bit harsh in my reply.

You understood exactly what I want to ask. When HDMI is used, is there an option for audio routing through AUX input on my 5.1. Other than that, PAL games are usually coded at 25FPS. This is to avoid over scanning the actual capacity of the TV system used.

NTSC uses 60Hz over an interlaced signal, meaning 30FPS. But the LCD has Progressive scan. means technically I should be limited to the speed of my LCD, i.e 60Hz.

I have learned consoles use vsync by default. So either way I am going to be locked to the FPS games are originally coded at. Mostly solid 30FPS, Since graphics cannot scale like that on GPU so FPS jumps don't matter here (Correct me if I am wrong).

This problem is very basic and should have been covered by microsoft. well, I guess I am not gonna sure about it until I test the setup my self.

PC gaming is dieing, Recent ubisoft DRM issue really hurt my gaming heart. I cannot sustain being treated like a thief when I am not. Well that's a different story.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Would definately be a boon to your quest if you can find a PAL xBox, in the wild and just try it ... prolly not gonna happen.

Hell ... It's just $30 That's what I paid for a fancy brunch, with my daughter, this morning.

The moral? Tell your kid to eat Cheerios (oat based breakfast cerial) , instead, one of these Sundays.

Seriously, tho ... The newer your monitor, the more likely it would support the PAL input.

I am Typing this on a 52" LG5250 HDTV, right now, and this display has amazed me at the very wide range of formats it can process (automatically) ... I'm using a DVI Adapter and the exact model was automagically sensed and these nVidia drivers seem to let me do just about anything I can think of, with two HDTVs.

My long winded point is that I have (somewhat intuitively, and by deduction) that it is just cheaper to manufacture one processor design and have it be "GLOBALLY COMPATIBLE".

I mean ... Arent ALL the InTEL core processors based on the SAME Nehalem Die? Are not ALL Ati 5000 series cards based on the same die, and just bin sorted and "hobbled" accordingly?

I mean, this has even happened (just recently) in the Professional; Camcorder Market ... MANY of the latest ENG cameras do both PAL and NTSC, now (several do not, tho).

Bottom line ... you would have to try it and, like I said, the Audio is the really hinky part.

= Al =

G

I have a Sony bravia KDL-40v2500 NTSC only TV bought from USA couple of years back. It can not work with PAL STBs. Currently I am using VGA out of the STB connecting to VGA in of my TV. It is working fine.
There are now HD STBs available here in India, which seems to have setting to configure the HDMI output to 1080i/50 or 1080i/60. I would think that, if the output is set to 1080i/60, it would work fine with my TV as my TV is NTSC having a scan frequency of 60Hz. Will there be any other requirement for HDMI STB to work with NTSC TV ? Do I still need a PAL HDMI to NTSC HDMI converter ? What additionally this converter do ?

NajamQ

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have a Sony bravia KDL-40v2500 NTSC only TV bought from USA couple of years back. It can not work with PAL STBs. Currently I am using VGA out of the STB connecting to VGA in of my TV. It is working fine.
There are now HD STBs available here in India, which seems to have setting to configure the HDMI output to 1080i/50 or 1080i/60. I would think that, if the output is set to 1080i/60, it would work fine with my TV as my TV is NTSC having a scan frequency of 60Hz. Will there be any other requirement for HDMI STB to work with NTSC TV ? Do I still need a PAL HDMI to NTSC HDMI converter ? What additionally this converter do ?

Dude, Glad you posted. But this thread is too old now and have become irrelevant for me. I can't help you, Sorry dude. You must start your own thread and will get better replies.

Regards