gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello, I just finished my first build and so far its all good. I followed the "Receipt" of Tom's $1500.00 build minus 1 video card.
How is it that my processor temperature on start up is about 39 degrees and gradually levels off to a fairly steady 47 after a few minutes?
Considering that we all live in buildings with controlled temperatures wouldn't the temperature of the processor start at a room temperature and work its way down the scale as the fans rev up?
Secondly any good suggestions where I might find a detailed explaination of the asrock bio/tweaker screens. Asrock web site misses the mark

Thanks

AsRock x58 extreme
core i7 930
stock intel cooler
powercolor radeon HD 5850
corsair TX 750 ps
dominator tri channel 1600
wd 1 TB

Solution
Think of 125 watt lightbulb as soon as you turn it on. Imagine how hot the filament is, the energy going through it that gives off that much light. That's what's happening inside your CPU only more condensed and with no space for the heat to get out unless you draw the heat out with the (drum roll please) heatsink.

I love my Thuban hexacore. On air cooling alone Cooler Master Hyper 212+, sometimes 22, 23 C at boot up and stays at 27 if I just browse the net.

wouldn't the temperature of the processor start at a room temperature and work its way down the scale as the fans rev up?
Explain to me how the process of heat dissipation to the air could possibly result in temperatures lower than the air temperature.

Secondly any good suggestions where I might find a detailed explaination of the asrock bio/tweaker screens. Asrock web site misses the mark
Unfortunately, I don't know of a place other than your motherboard manual.

How is it that my processor temperature on start up is about 39 degrees and gradually levels off to a fairly steady 47 after a few minutes?
Because the CPU starts out at room temperature, then starts heating up during the boot process? However, gradually going further than the temperature read right after boot is odd if the CPU is completely idle at that time. What is your case fan setup?

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

unless your using water cooling

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Think of 125 watt lightbulb as soon as you turn it on. Imagine how hot the filament is, the energy going through it that gives off that much light. That's what's happening inside your CPU only more condensed and with no space for the heat to get out unless you draw the heat out with the (drum roll please) heatsink.

I love my Thuban hexacore. On air cooling alone Cooler Master Hyper 212+, sometimes 22, 23 C at boot up and stays at 27 if I just browse the net.

Solution

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Even with water you cant go below whatever the water temperature is.

In a normal system the water will be sitting beside your desk and will never be able to go below the room temperature

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Enso you said "Because the CPU starts out at room temperature, then starts heating up during the boot process", thats exactly my question. My room temperature is not 39 degrees its 75. So how is it the mobo reports 39 at start if it reports what your room temp was it should be in the 70 area no ?... and gradually go down as the fans go.

Also, what should the temp be ideally?

is not 39 degrees its 75
The program is reporting *C not *F

is not 39*C degrees its 24*C
By the time you can see the program to measure your temperatures, your CPU had already had more than enough time to heat up.

Ideally, a load temperature should be below 60*C. However, from what I have read, it appears the i7 can be normally up to 10*C hotter. Idle is less relevant but related. 39*C seems fine but 47*C might or might not mean higher load temperatures.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Do you know of a 3rd party utility free ware i can download to monitor the temps. I'm getting readings from my bios but im not sure if they are correct for when windows is running.
thanks 4 your opinions

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

If you're worried about overheating issues etc. then have a nose through my guide linked to in my signature. All the best!

Ideally, a load temperature should be below 60*C. However, from what I have read, it appears the i7 can be normally up to 10*C hotter. Idle is less relevant but related. 39*C seems fine but 47*C might or might not mean higher load temperatures.
You'll want to be looking at the "core" temps. ;)