Sign in with
Your question

5V line is a little high

Last response: in Components
July 3, 2010 4:23:29 AM

Hi,

I just bought a new corsair TX650W power supply. Before installing, i tested it with my power supply tester and got the 5V on the upper bound of 5.3V. I then tested it with a multimeter and got 5.28V on all 5V lines. The tolerance for that line is +/-5% ( which means a maximum of 5.25V, and I'm getting +5.6% ). Am I making a big deal out of nothing here? Or should I RMA this power supply?

Thanks a lot.

More about : line high

July 3, 2010 6:15:15 AM

Once there's a load on the 5v rail the voltages will drop. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you can test them again with the system up and running if you are paranoid about it :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2010 11:59:23 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I've often seen my 3.3 go to 3.0, and highest at 3.7.. then settles again at 3.3. My 5v normally says bang on 5, but sometimes drops and sometimes rises due to load.

Although your 5v rail is powering quite a few things in your PC, having it running a little high wont do much harm, it's when it's low like around 4v that you'll see problems.

Also, have you tried testing with a second multimeter or anything just to be sure it's the PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2010 2:48:10 PM

well psu testers barely put any load on it, so theyre all gonna be a bit high. if you would measure it while the computer is running it would be much closer to 5v
m
l
July 3, 2010 4:22:44 PM

Thanks for all the answers! That puts my mind at ease. Once I get the system built, I'll test it again, out of curiosity, and post the reading that I get.

To test it under full load, I would plug everything in, turn the computer on, then do the multimeter test on the 4 pin peripheral connector, with the black probe on one of the black pins and the red probe on the red pin?
m
l
!