GA-H55M-UD2H & ATI HD 5850 Boot Issues

JosephDuffy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi,
I changed motherboards in my PC yesterday in order to support a new i3 CPU. I had a few issues along the way, but it boots, however, when the GPU (ATI Sapphire HD 5850 GDDR5 1GB), the system gives no output from it's on-board graphics (Or the GPU itself), and doesn't beep. When it doesn't have the graphics card, it beeps, and gives an output from the on-board graphics.
When plugged in, the GPUs fan spins, and CPU Cooler fans spin up, everything looks as if it's OK, but there's no output or beep.
I've also moved the HDD over from the 'old' setup, which had the driver on it, could this in some way effect it?
Obviously, because it boots without, I can enter BIOS, maybe change something in there?
One thing to note, it's a little tight to my CPU Cooler, the massive Noctua NH-D14, however, the GPU seems to think it's connected, and the PC simply doesn't start up. I've tried it in the top and bottom PCI slots, with and without my X-Fi Sound Card, nothing making a difference.
Any ideas? I'll try most things, I'm getting annoyed now :fou:
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy

bilbat

Splendid
This really shouldn't matter, as the default (PCI - always have wondered why this is the default?) should work anyway, but go to the "Advanced BIOS Features" page, and set the third-last item, "Init Display First", to "PEG" - this will initialize the x16 slot for graphics. From the tone of your question, I'm guessing you're fairly astute - so don't be insulted - just checking the basics - make sure the PSU plug(s) is/are inserted, and the the pins seem engaged. It's rare, but possible, that a pin retainer isn't bent properly, and the pin is backing out from insertion, rather than making contact...

JosephDuffy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

I went into BIOS, and went into the same menu as you said, and changed some settings so it would use the onboard graphics, even if something was in the PCI slot, this has allowed me to boot into Windows, but it sits on the starting screen, I think it's a driver error, because it worked in Safe Mode.
I'm now re-installing Windows 7, hopefully it'll work. Do you recommend I should tell BIOS to switch to the PCI output if there is one, or leave it on the onboard graphics, and let Windows load any drivers etc?
Thanks for the help,
Joseph Duffy

JosephDuffy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I've been messing around a bit more, and I'm into Windows (reinstalled it in the end). When I install the ATI Drivers and/or the Catalyst Control Centre, it installs Ok, but then when I try to load the CCC, it decides either the driver isn't up-to-date, or that the display being used (On board) isn't compatible.
I think Windows is overriding some drivers r something, I'm getting no output form my GPU, only onboard, but it's under the device manager, with seemingly the correct driver installed.
Any ideas now? :S
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy