Experience of use AM3 CPUs on AM2/AM2+ boards like M2N-E

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hi every body
I wanna try an am3 cpu like Athlon 2 x3 440 or even phenom2 up to 945 on my M2N-E board.
But despite my board's CPU support list on ASUS website ,I used to read some kind of bad luck or strange problems happened before . then I decided to gather every information about the people's experience who try it before.I must repeat : Despite CPU support list , some kind of incompatibility happens. Obviously I don't wanna lose the CPU's money because of incompatibility.
So PLEASE share your experience and your results and every thing you've done to solve the problem.
I started a thread like that in cpu forum but this could be more useful on this forum.

M2N-E (not SLI ver) with Nvidia 570 ultra mcp am2/am2+ now!(it was just am2 before but now ASUS says so)&like ASUS recommended Bios updated to 5001 to support AM3 CPUs
Athlon X2 4800
2*1Gb kingston HyperX 800 mhz
Gigabye HD4850 overclocked.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The 720 has worked on a couple of different boards, (not your's), with the 4th core enabled and overclocked on both for a couple of years now. Stuck with AM2+ to keep the 8G RAM on each.

Can't help you finding a problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1^ on the BIOS upgrade BEFORE you swap CPUs and you will be good to go. The likelihood of a problem afterwards is very low, if not nil.

TRENDING THREADS