Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Transfer

Last response: in Windows XP
January 10, 2013 2:13:18 AM

I had an HP a1630n desktop computer -- Windows XP OS (bought it December, 2006) and I kind of fried the motherboard by stupidly vacuuming the inside of it with my vacuum cleaner with brush bristles, ugh. Anyway, I think the hard drive is still good, and I just purchased a refurbished HP-Compaq Presario CQ2713-w desktop computer, AMD Dual Core Processor, 4GB DDR3, 500 GB hard drive, AMD Radeon TM HD 6310, SuperMulti DVD Burner, and Windows 7 Premium Home operating system.

I want to transfer all my PDF, photos, and WORD files onto my new computer, but don't know how to do it. The old hard drive is a Hitachi Deskstar, Model #HDT722525DLA380, 250GB SATA LES. So, what do I do? BTW, I also backed-up my stuff in November onto a DVD disk using Norton 360, but a computer person told me it's easier to do the transfer with your hard drive, but my operating system is now changed from XP to Win 7.

I've been a phone tech (inside and outside) for more than 28 years, but I'm not a computer person, so I know how to use tools. So, what do I do? I'm lost. Thanks.

-RJC

More about : hard drive transfer

January 10, 2013 5:15:07 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You need a USB converter to be able to connect the hard disk to the new laptop and they aren't very expensive on e-Bay. Here's an example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-SATA-USB-2-0-HDD-Hard-Dis...

Once connected, in XP all your documents are stored in Documents and Settings>{yourname}, so navigate to that folder and sort out what you want to transfer. In Windows 7, the target folder is Users>{yourname} and the sub folders have largely the same names as in XP so simply copy and paste into those. Look out for Contacts, Favourites, Desktop and Downloads as well as the obvious Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos.

Post back if you have e-mail handlers files to transfer - Outlook, OE etc. - it's a little more involved.

m
l
January 10, 2013 1:04:08 PM

Since these are both desktops, no need to go out and buy USB converter cable. Just attach the drive to a free SATA port on the motherboard (attach power cable too). Since it has been used before, windows should recognize it upon startup.

You may need to go into the bios and enable the sata port, but just try the above first.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 5:19:54 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Since these are both desktops

Oops - memo to self - read the post properly. :( 
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:42:20 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Since these are both desktops, no need to go out and buy USB converter cable. Just attach the drive to a free SATA port on the motherboard (attach power cable too). Since it has been used before, windows should recognize it upon startup.

You may need to go into the bios and enable the sata port, but just try the above first.

Except that Windows occasionally gets 6 kinds of cranky during the boot process when it sees 2 volumes marked as active/bootable
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:55:34 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Except that Windows occasionally gets 6 kinds of cranky during the boot process when it sees 2 volumes marked as active/bootable

Hrmmm... I've never experienced this myself as long as the proper boot drive is specified in the bios. I don't have any EUFI motherboards, so I can't speak for those.

Anyhow, I think it would be worth it for the OP to try since that would be the easiest, quickest, and free route to go.
m
l
!