Couple of T2X questions

Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2005 12:42:23 PM

First, should the T2X loader keep running after I exit the game? Seems
like it should exit when the game exits.

Second, in mission 3 - The City Sleeps, I hear Zaya say something about
shooting a lever. There is no lever anywhere near. A few corners and
streets away there is a lever above where two guards were that opens a
combo lock. There is also a lever that opens a gate they were guarding.
Did I miss some other lever earlier or did they just screw up the
activation for that bit of speech?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

More about : couple t2x questions

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:53:28 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:42:23 -0500, Michael Cecil wrote:

> First, should the T2X loader keep running after I exit the game? Seems
> like it should exit when the game exits.

It doesn't detect whether Thief is running, so must be manually closed.
Apparently, it sets and resets some config files in the Thief directories.

> Second, in mission 3 - The City Sleeps, I hear Zaya say something about
> shooting a lever. There is no lever anywhere near. A few corners and
> streets away there is a lever above where two guards were that opens a
> combo lock. There is also a lever that opens a gate they were guarding.
> Did I miss some other lever earlier or did they just screw up the
> activation for that bit of speech?

Sounds like the latter. She spoke at the right point for me. Did you go
near the guards, and then run away from them while they were talking?
Perhaps Zaya's mention of the lever is time-activated (after the guards'
discussion).
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:57:41 PM

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:6o5p815abbr7k2k4vnqigq69rpubc7js0l@4ax.com...
> First, should the T2X loader keep running after I exit the game? Seems
> like it should exit when the game exits.
>
> Second, in mission 3 - The City Sleeps, I hear Zaya say something about
> shooting a lever. There is no lever anywhere near. A few corners and
> streets away there is a lever above where two guards were that opens a
> combo lock. There is also a lever that opens a gate they were guarding.
> Did I miss some other lever earlier or did they just screw up the
> activation for that bit of speech?

Don't know about the T2X loader -- mine refuses to start from that, only via
Darkloader.

For me that bit of speech came at the right time -- but those are the levers
Zaya referred to.

I thought that the third mission was fantastic! I had a hell of a good time
on the Thieves' Highway. So much to explore -- wow! I also liked the
museum -- heck, I'm loving the whole game. It's not 100% perfect, but
considering the scope of the T2X and that it is, in essence, an entirely new
Thief game made by fans (with real lives) for free -- what little there
remains that I feel could've been polished a bit more, suddenly becomes
entirely meaningless.

- Mika L
May 19, 2005 11:25:55 PM

"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
in message news:D 6i60p$e8s$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

> I thought that the third mission was fantastic! I had a hell of a good
time
> on the Thieves' Highway. So much to explore -- wow! I also liked the
> museum -- heck, I'm loving the whole game. It's not 100% perfect, but
> considering the scope of the T2X and that it is, in essence, an entirely
new
> Thief game made by fans (with real lives) for free -- what little there
> remains that I feel could've been polished a bit more, suddenly becomes
> entirely meaningless.

Absolutely true. Although I do find myself wishing they'd left some of the
sounds alone. The new footsteps sounds are dreadful...but it seems churlish
to say so!

JJ (UK)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:25:56 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:25:55 GMT, "JJ \(UK\)" <nah@way.com> wrote:

>"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
>in message news:D 6i60p$e8s$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...
>
>> I thought that the third mission was fantastic! I had a hell of a good
>time
>> on the Thieves' Highway. So much to explore -- wow! I also liked the
>> museum -- heck, I'm loving the whole game. It's not 100% perfect, but
>> considering the scope of the T2X and that it is, in essence, an entirely
>new
>> Thief game made by fans (with real lives) for free -- what little there
>> remains that I feel could've been polished a bit more, suddenly becomes
>> entirely meaningless.
>
>Absolutely true. Although I do find myself wishing they'd left some of the
>sounds alone. The new footsteps sounds are dreadful...but it seems churlish
>to say so!
>
>JJ (UK)

You could always unpack the snd.crf file (it's just a zip) from the
original T2 RES folder and see which file is used for the footsteps. Then
just delete (or rename) the corresponding file in the T2X folder and the
Dark Engine will use the default on in snd.crf.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:50:57 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:25:55 +0000, JJ (UK) wrote:

> Absolutely true. Although I do find myself wishing they'd left some of the
> sounds alone. The new footsteps sounds are dreadful...but it seems
> churlish to say so!

I thought that the original Thief sounded like a tap-dancer. Since our
current caricature is of the gentler persuasion, with possibly smaller
(and surely sweeter-smelling) feet, I am glad to hear a lighter, more
feminine footstep.

Or maybe I just don't like tap-dancing.
!