Can't map folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Platform: XP Pro with SP2

I created a folder off the root directory called c:\para. To satisfy the
needs of an ancient application, this entire folder needs to be mapped as P:
drive. In Explorer, Tools/Map Folder brings up a dialog box, but the browse
button points to network resources, not the hard disk.

Someone suggested manually entering this:

\\MachineName\Para, but that doesn't work. If I try to share the folder
itself (right click the folder in Explorer), the only option that *almost*
makes sense says that if I want to share the folder, I should drag it to
Shared Documents (or whatever - I'm not in front of the dialog box at the
moment). This is not a good option, since c:\para contains executables, and
the app will complain if things aren't where they're supposed to be.

So, the short question: How can I get Tools/Map Folder to show me the entire
hard disk?

Note: Security is NOT an issue here. Sharing that folder, or the entire hard
disk is not a problem.
7 answers Last reply
More about folder
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Doug, first enable File and Printer sharing in the Windows Firewall.
    Share out the folder c:\para by right clicking on the folder and select
    SHARING and Security. Give the share a name, and ensure that you give the
    nessary share and NTFS permissions, ie Share permisisons = Everyone/Full
    Control, NTFS permissions = Authenticated Users/Full Control

    Now you should be able to map a drive to \\SystemName\ShareName

    Note: If Security settings are not available your drive might be FAT32
    instead of NTFS. To convert your drive to NTFS open a command prompt and
    type in
    CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS
    This will reboot your system and when it comes up again, the drive will be
    NTFS. Be sure to back up any important files before you try this.

    "Doug Kanter" wrote:

    > Platform: XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > I created a folder off the root directory called c:\para. To satisfy the
    > needs of an ancient application, this entire folder needs to be mapped as P:
    > drive. In Explorer, Tools/Map Folder brings up a dialog box, but the browse
    > button points to network resources, not the hard disk.
    >
    > Someone suggested manually entering this:
    >
    > \\MachineName\Para, but that doesn't work. If I try to share the folder
    > itself (right click the folder in Explorer), the only option that *almost*
    > makes sense says that if I want to share the folder, I should drag it to
    > Shared Documents (or whatever - I'm not in front of the dialog box at the
    > moment). This is not a good option, since c:\para contains executables, and
    > the app will complain if things aren't where they're supposed to be.
    >
    > So, the short question: How can I get Tools/Map Folder to show me the entire
    > hard disk?
    >
    > Note: Security is NOT an issue here. Sharing that folder, or the entire hard
    > disk is not a problem.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Bear with me, David - this is all new. Can the share name simply be P: ?
    We're dealing with a DOS app here - I can't rewrite the code just for this
    machine. It must see a P: drive.

    "David Hetherington" <David Hetherington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:08115A15-DDE7-4F95-8F3A-27F1140681B6@microsoft.com...
    > Doug, first enable File and Printer sharing in the Windows Firewall.
    > Share out the folder c:\para by right clicking on the folder and select
    > SHARING and Security. Give the share a name, and ensure that you give the
    > nessary share and NTFS permissions, ie Share permisisons = Everyone/Full
    > Control, NTFS permissions = Authenticated Users/Full Control
    >
    > Now you should be able to map a drive to \\SystemName\ShareName
    >
    > Note: If Security settings are not available your drive might be FAT32
    > instead of NTFS. To convert your drive to NTFS open a command prompt and
    > type in
    > CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS
    > This will reboot your system and when it comes up again, the drive will be
    > NTFS. Be sure to back up any important files before you try this.
    >

    > "Doug Kanter" wrote:
    >
    >> Platform: XP Pro with SP2
    >>
    >> I created a folder off the root directory called c:\para. To satisfy the
    >> needs of an ancient application, this entire folder needs to be mapped as
    >> P:
    >> drive. In Explorer, Tools/Map Folder brings up a dialog box, but the
    >> browse
    >> button points to network resources, not the hard disk.
    >>
    >> Someone suggested manually entering this:
    >>
    >> \\MachineName\Para, but that doesn't work. If I try to share the folder
    >> itself (right click the folder in Explorer), the only option that
    >> *almost*
    >> makes sense says that if I want to share the folder, I should drag it to
    >> Shared Documents (or whatever - I'm not in front of the dialog box at the
    >> moment). This is not a good option, since c:\para contains executables,
    >> and
    >> the app will complain if things aren't where they're supposed to be.
    >>
    >> So, the short question: How can I get Tools/Map Folder to show me the
    >> entire
    >> hard disk?
    >>
    >> Note: Security is NOT an issue here. Sharing that folder, or the entire
    >> hard
    >> disk is not a problem.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    It doesn't matter much want the "sharename" is, because to make the
    "DOS" program see and use it you will then MAP it as "P:"

    Doug Kanter wrote:

    > Bear with me, David - this is all new. Can the share name simply be P: ?
    > We're dealing with a DOS app here - I can't rewrite the code just for this
    > machine. It must see a P: drive.
    >
    > "David Hetherington" <David Hetherington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:08115A15-DDE7-4F95-8F3A-27F1140681B6@microsoft.com...
    >
    >>Doug, first enable File and Printer sharing in the Windows Firewall.
    >>Share out the folder c:\para by right clicking on the folder and select
    >>SHARING and Security. Give the share a name, and ensure that you give the
    >>nessary share and NTFS permissions, ie Share permisisons = Everyone/Full
    >>Control, NTFS permissions = Authenticated Users/Full Control
    >>
    >>Now you should be able to map a drive to \\SystemName\ShareName
    >>
    >>Note: If Security settings are not available your drive might be FAT32
    >>instead of NTFS. To convert your drive to NTFS open a command prompt and
    >>type in
    >>CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS
    >>This will reboot your system and when it comes up again, the drive will be
    >>NTFS. Be sure to back up any important files before you try this.
    >>

    >>"Doug Kanter" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Platform: XP Pro with SP2
    >>>
    >>>I created a folder off the root directory called c:\para. To satisfy the
    >>>needs of an ancient application, this entire folder needs to be mapped as
    >>>P:
    >>>drive. In Explorer, Tools/Map Folder brings up a dialog box, but the
    >>>browse
    >>>button points to network resources, not the hard disk.
    >>>
    >>>Someone suggested manually entering this:
    >>>
    >>>\\MachineName\Para, but that doesn't work. If I try to share the folder
    >>>itself (right click the folder in Explorer), the only option that
    >>>*almost*
    >>>makes sense says that if I want to share the folder, I should drag it to
    >>>Shared Documents (or whatever - I'm not in front of the dialog box at the
    >>>moment). This is not a good option, since c:\para contains executables,
    >>>and
    >>>the app will complain if things aren't where they're supposed to be.
    >>>
    >>>So, the short question: How can I get Tools/Map Folder to show me the
    >>>entire
    >>>hard disk?
    >>>
    >>>Note: Security is NOT an issue here. Sharing that folder, or the entire
    >>>hard
    >>>disk is not a problem.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The subst command, designed to make Dos 1 programs work on Dos 2 or later (no sub directories in Dos 1, only drive letters) is the correct way to do it. Type subst /? for help.

    eg

    subst p: c:\para
    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41DB17D3.2060305@yahoo.com...
    > It doesn't matter much want the "sharename" is, because to make the
    > "DOS" program see and use it you will then MAP it as "P:"
    >
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >
    >> Bear with me, David - this is all new. Can the share name simply be P: ?
    >> We're dealing with a DOS app here - I can't rewrite the code just for this
    >> machine. It must see a P: drive.
    >>
    >> "David Hetherington" <David Hetherington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:08115A15-DDE7-4F95-8F3A-27F1140681B6@microsoft.com...
    >>
    >>>Doug, first enable File and Printer sharing in the Windows Firewall.
    >>>Share out the folder c:\para by right clicking on the folder and select
    >>>SHARING and Security. Give the share a name, and ensure that you give the
    >>>nessary share and NTFS permissions, ie Share permisisons = Everyone/Full
    >>>Control, NTFS permissions = Authenticated Users/Full Control
    >>>
    >>>Now you should be able to map a drive to \\SystemName\ShareName
    >>>
    >>>Note: If Security settings are not available your drive might be FAT32
    >>>instead of NTFS. To convert your drive to NTFS open a command prompt and
    >>>type in
    >>>CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS
    >>>This will reboot your system and when it comes up again, the drive will be
    >>>NTFS. Be sure to back up any important files before you try this.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    True, that should work also.

    David Candy wrote:

    > The subst command, designed to make Dos 1 programs work on Dos 2 or later (no sub directories in Dos 1, only drive letters) is the correct way to do it. Type subst /? for help.
    >
    > eg
    >
    > subst p: c:\para

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Ah ha! That's how I used to do it with Win98, but if I recall, I tried it in
    my autoexec.bat file with XP, and it was not happy. Is there a trick to
    making the SUBST command work with XP?

    And by the way, thank you for your help thus far.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    The subst command, designed to make Dos 1 programs work on Dos 2 or later
    (no sub directories in Dos 1, only drive letters) is the correct way to do
    it. Type subst /? for help.

    eg

    subst p: c:\para
    http://www.uscricket.com
    > It doesn't matter much want the "sharename" is, because to make the
    > "DOS" program see and use it you will then MAP it as "P:"
    >
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >
    >> Bear with me, David - this is all new. Can the share name simply be P: ?
    >> We're dealing with a DOS app here - I can't rewrite the code just for
    >> this
    >> machine. It must see a P: drive.
    >>
    >> "David Hetherington" <David Hetherington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:08115A15-DDE7-4F95-8F3A-27F1140681B6@microsoft.com...
    >>
    >>>Doug, first enable File and Printer sharing in the Windows Firewall.
    >>>Share out the folder c:\para by right clicking on the folder and select
    >>>SHARING and Security. Give the share a name, and ensure that you give
    >>>the
    >>>nessary share and NTFS permissions, ie Share permisisons = Everyone/Full
    >>>Control, NTFS permissions = Authenticated Users/Full Control
    >>>
    >>>Now you should be able to map a drive to \\SystemName\ShareName
    >>>
    >>>Note: If Security settings are not available your drive might be FAT32
    >>>instead of NTFS. To convert your drive to NTFS open a command prompt and
    >>>type in
    >>>CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS
    >>>This will reboot your system and when it comes up again, the drive will
    >>>be
    >>>NTFS. Be sure to back up any important files before you try this.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You can only put set commands in autoexec on NT (and Win ME) operating systems. And they are read after logon for each logon and are only user specific not system. It is not read on boot (unlike Windows and Dos).

    Put it in a shortcut and put the shortcut into your startup folder. Start the program from a batch file that has that as line 1. Put it in task scheduler (to run at logon) but startup folder is easier.

    http://www.uscricket.com

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP