Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hooking two computers up to one monitor

  • Graphics Cards
  • Computers
  • Workstations
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2010 8:09:40 PM

Hi all, I have two workstations that I use for HPC applications. At any given time, one workstation is doing calculations and the other is my "work" PC. Every few days, I unplug my LCD monitor from workstation A and plug it into workstation B. Then, a few days later, I unplug it from workstation B and plug it back into workstation A. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't want to buy another $250 monitor, and I was wondering: is there anything like a "monitor switch" or at least a monitor splitter or something so that I can easily flip between which computer is sending input, without having to unplug and replug cables all the time?

Thank you very much!

More about : hooking computers monitor

a c 148 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2010 8:16:13 PM

Does your monitor have more than one display input? like a DVI and a VGA? just make one a VGA connection.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 8:32:46 PM

^ Either that or a KVM switch (~$25 or so for a decent one).
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2010 8:44:15 PM

+1 to Shadow703793

A KVM is the way to go. Alot of the newer ones support USB and DVI. Then you only need one mouse and keyboard