Sign in with
Your question

Yet Another ~1000 gaming build, AMD Phen2 x4 or i-750?

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2010 12:29:07 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Maybe end of week.

BUDGET RANGE: ~1000...

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: #1 Gaming, #2 movies #3 day to day web surfing, music, and college HW (!! No rendering or autocad or the likes required !!)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: LCD/Mouse/Keyboard/ [Do not include in price, but I would like some input.. I had a MXRevolution mouse n loved it, but the right-click is dead.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: List of current ideas below. No brand loyalty.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, but reasonable levels

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Doubtful, I want one nice bang/buck card, and Radeon 5850 seems to be it. And I hear Sapphire is the recommended..

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Never had a 1920x1080 before, so that'd be sweet... I am in the market for a new LCD, too. My old dell LCD has some ugly burning and if I'm going to be getting to PC to start gaming again, I want it to look spectacular. Again, do not include LCD in price.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Thanks for looking! From the information I've gathered it looks like the AMD budget build is for me, but I'm still fuzzy on i5-750 vs Phenom 2 x4 965

So far I was thinking:

CPU
AMD Phenom 2 x4, 965 BE @ 3.4, 125W

OR
i5-750 Lynnfield @ 2.66

MOBO
I really havn't decided. Newegg reviewers tend to be tards and some are so ugly it's unbelievable. Looking for an updated "futureproof"ish but it'll ofc depend on my CPU choice.

GFX Card
Radeon 5850 [Sapphire Edition]

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24 @1.6V)

Harddrive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB (I have a Caviar Black WD 1TB in my current system but I havn't decided to scrap it or not yet)

Case
Coolermaster's HAF922 or Antec 902

Power Supply
Antec or Corsair? 550W? 650W? 750W?

Extra Cooler
Coolermaster Hyper 212

I am replacing my old Dell XPS pent D w/ Nvidia 6800.. haha. I haven't really been able to game much in the past while, so that's why I'm buying this computer. Also considering a sound card, but are they even needed today?

Very open to suggestions on EVERY part listed, and looking forward to your answers. Thanks for reading, I know it's long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 25, 2010 12:50:36 PM

almost identical to my build....
m
l
April 25, 2010 12:54:49 PM

Twinky27 said:
almost identical to my build....

Oh cool. Yeah I've been lurking for a week and took my favorite choices from other ~1000 builds.. just trying to finish it up. =)
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 1:02:21 PM

haha nice. viva le revelution! a great man once told me....the psu is extremely important...i'd go for the 650W if i were you.....dont need as much as the 750, but 550 is not enough.
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD 890 Chipset Socket AM3 Motherboard

try that mobo on for size
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:18:04 PM

Don't need a soundcard anymore. The onboard ones are very capable now.
How future proof did you want it because if you went with an LGA1156 board then future is out as soon as you open that mobo box.

And psu certainly is important. If you were planning to run a single 5850 then 650 is fine, if you wanted to crossfire later on try a 750w.

If you were going the AMD route get a 955 (save $25 bucks) and change the clock multiplier by one yourself. It's the exact samething.

I have this mobo with it and now that I check there is one with an 890 chipset instead, not really sure what the diff is but:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Otherwise everything else you picked is on point.
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:18:53 PM

posted before previous poster.. hold on..
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:31:53 PM

Okay cool, thanks for the input.

I think I'll be safe and get a 750 watt incase I do decide to crossfire in a year or so. Doesn't make sense to not be prepared.

Current questions

Antec 902 or Haf922 case?

Corsair or Antec 750w?

Will the Gskill RAM live up to it's reputation, or should I go with a different brand?

Is Sapphire the right 5850 to choose? [As of 3 minutes ago, out of stock for now, but w.e]

Is the i5-750 worth it for me, or should I just stick with the Phenom 2 x4 955 BE? I do not understand when people say that it adds a large cost, when it's $200 for the i5-750 vs $159 (amd 955 BE) and the motherboards seem to be the same. If the price is no longer an issue, which to get?...
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:43:00 PM

I'm just going to say Haf922 but that's just because I have one :) . And it's $20 cheaper (another $10 on rebate) plus it has some nice features for the price. And it can hold up to 5970 well.

Antec are good but I know most would recommend the Corsairs, it's just more of the norm. And for 750w, certainly it'll cost more to run then say a 550 but who cares right? It's like pennies vs future proofing.

And it's funny you asked about your g.skill memory. Quite honestly I'm not sure what the difference is between the one you picked and the one I own, only diff I see is a lower voltage by 0.05v and $20 more in cost. Either way AMD or 1156 it'll work fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire 5850 is fine. I went with a XFX one because of the lifetim warranty (for a few bucks more).
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

If you didn't care about future proofing then the i5 is fine. And yeah I tend to agree before the intels would generally cost more but really it's like $40 of a difference in your picks. Keeping in mind your i5 750 is 2.66 ghz while the 955 is 3.2 ghz. Not sure how high i5 750 can be OC'ed but I have my 955 running at 3.8ghz, 100% stable. I'll push it some more once I play with it some.

But as for gaming you really won't see a difference with either.
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:24:22 PM

fastx21 said:

If you didn't care about future proofing then the i5 is fine. And yeah I tend to agree before the intels would generally cost more but really it's like $40 of a difference in your picks. Keeping in mind your i5 750 is 2.66 ghz while the 955 is 3.2 ghz. Not sure how high i5 750 can be OC'ed but I have my 955 running at 3.8ghz, 100% stable. I'll push it some more once I play with it some.

But as for gaming you really won't see a difference with either.

Yeah it seems both can be OC'd well. I do not care too much about replacing the processor in the future.. I want the best option available now.

Should I go with the i5 then?..

How badly does OCing affect the lifespan, by the way?

As far as cooling power, the HAF922 and the Antec 900 Two, which is better? I like the look of the Antec more but I hear the HAF get repeated and repeated.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:28:11 PM

Shameless bump
m
l
April 26, 2010 9:20:46 AM

Your build looks good and FastX has a good handle on it.

Yes ... the 955 is the way to go (INTEL CAN'T TOUCH YOUR BUDGET)

mobo ... Get the Gigabyte 890GX based board ... Model ends in "UD3"

PSU ... Corsair 650Watt (there are two models ... the cheaper is fine).

Everything else is golden ... I like Sapphire Video cards but XFX or MSI are fine, as well.

Everything else on your list is great and from what I gleaned of FastX's advice, it was "all good".

= Al =

PS: I hate the socket 1156 ... won't even discuss it much, anymore ... BUT .. the i5-750 is the ONLY WAY TO GO if you insist on socket 1156.

Remember that 30fps in Hi-rez (with features on), in all games that count, is the main performance break-point ... The 955(clocked) with the 5850 and 4GB-RAM will do all that quite handilly ... AND it beats the i3 in all gaming benches ... yup.

But if you have the bucks ... yeah ... an i5-750 with ONE 5970 ... That is the gamer's "ultimate cream-dream" ... Unless you live next door to a nuclear power plant ... In that case, you would want one of the latest nVidia cards.

= Al =
m
l
April 26, 2010 3:56:14 PM

I'm not sure if you would use a motherboard with onboard graphics? Most would just disable it if they aren't using it for a HTPC build.

Personally I like the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 for like $90. You get usb 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s, but no Crossfire. Which I don't think realistically you're going to be doing. By the time you think you may want to, you probably wont be able to find a non-used, reasonably priced 5850. Just get a new card in 3+ years. This would also make the 750W PSU very much overkill, drop down to the Antec or Crosait 650w units for a single card. Either are more than enough.

With that saved money, grab a 5870.

As for monitors, I'm a fan of this one from Asus for $210. It's LED as opposed to LCD and has great performance/looks. The stand seems to be love/hate but none of my friends have had issues with them. Great bang for buck, fast, great looking 23" monitor (1920x res).

Good luck and enjoy!
m
l
!