Sign in with
Your question

Integrating ssd to system help

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2012 7:46:02 PM

Hello. Ive purchased a new intel 510 120 gb ssd and have been looking around the net for instructions and Im even more confused then when i started. Here is what i want to do. I have Vista 64 running my system on a 500gb hard drive. I dont need tons of storage as I only really use my rig for a few games. I want to install my os on the ssd. is it possible to keep what i have on the original hard drive and delete the opertating system and still be able to load the games and programs on the old drive? Can i migrate certain programs to the ssd? Are there any guides that can help me with what im looking to do? Thanks for any help.

More about : integrating ssd system

a c 317 G Storage
June 4, 2012 9:14:21 PM

No, you cannot just delete the OS and not re-install the games/programs.

While it seems like a hassle, save yourself a lot of heartache and do a clean OS install on the SSD, optimize it with one of the many guides (like some in this very comprehensive post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom... ), and then install your most used programs and games to the SSD/everything else to the HDD.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 4, 2012 10:05:46 PM

Realbeast is correct. It is preferable to do a clean install on your SSD. It won't take that long. Just remember to enable ACHI on the BIOS before installing win 7.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
June 4, 2012 10:13:02 PM

fantastik250 said:
Realbeast is correct. It is preferable to do a clean install on your SSD. It won't take that long. Just remember to enable ACHI on the BIOS before installing win 7.
^ +1 Definitely use AHCI in your bios just prior to the re-install.
m
l
!