Phenom 955 CPU Temp/Crash Question

shockem

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Ok guys, I just finished my first build and I have enjoyed my new computer so far. I installed CPU-Z and SpeedFan. SpeedFan is recording my temps at

Stock CPU Fan

System Spec

AMD Phenom X4 955 BE
4GB DDR3 Memory with 8-8-8-24 timings 1.63V
Radeon 5770 Juniper GPU
GIGABYTE MOBO

Temp1: 34C
Temp2: 30C
Temp3: 37C
Core: 37C

This is just sitting idle on Windows 7 Desktop. Now for the question.

My comp has crashed twice now to the boot screen and I think it may be because of the CPU temp.. although I'm not sure. When I started multiple programs and tried to get my CPU usage up and had SC2 and a few other things running suddenly everything started to spazz and I ctrl-alt-del to log out and came back in to all my programs ended. The last time I looked at SpeedFan the Core temp went above 50C. Is that bad?? I have no clue what a good temp for these would be. Nor do I know how to put an artificial load on my comp and test it. Please help me out to get this running smoothly.

Also btw I didn't overclock anything, I just went into MOBO BIOS and set memory timings, voltage and what not.

P.S - I have another issue that I figured maybe one of you guys would have an idea of how to fix.... I put my screen at full resolution in Windows 7 at 1920X1080 and it doesn't fill up my 23" Asus Monitor like it should. There is an inch border at the top and bot and like 1.5" border left right, no matter what resolution it is at. I grabbed ATI Catalyst Control Center and this has not helped at all.

Thanks for looking into it guys,

Shockem

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
For the screen rez, are you sing any adapters, ie VGA to DVI?

The temps sound okay, should not be a worry.

I suspect your memory settings in BIOS are the cause. Set the settings to AUTO to see if it helps. Once you're in windows check with CPU-Z to check if your mobo set your RAM to factory specs.

shockem

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

I'm using HDMI cable.

shockem

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
This is my memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

My BIOS sets it at 1333 MHZ default and also like 11 11 11 timings.....

I set them at 7 8 7 24 at first and then on reboot it said system won't boot because memory.

Then I set them to 8 8 8 24 and was able to install my OS and get some programs on there and it crash twice.

I also have the voltage set at 1.635 or something from the original 1.4 or something.

The defaults are really bad.. should I still use them?

MOBO -- GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard