Sign in with
Your question

Card crowding conundrum

Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2011 1:25:20 PM

I currently have:
an ASUS P5E-VM DO motherboard (DDR2, Quad Core 2.6GHz LGA775)
NVIDIA 9500GT

I just purchased a 3Ware 256MB PCI-E SATA II RAID Control 9650SE-4LPML

As my current motherboard does not have the PCI-E x4 slot needed for the controller card I need to find an alternate motherboard which will accomodate my existing memory and CPU.

The drawback I am seeing with just about every motherboard I've looked at is the fact that the x16 slot used by the graphics card and the adjacent slot, which is most often where the x4 slot would be, are too close. When the graphics card is in the x16 slot it sufficiently crowd the adjacent slot so that chances are slim a card could be inserted into it. To make matters worse the cooling fan on the graphics card faces the adjacent slot and if a card could be inserted it would block the air to the fan on the graphics card.

Does a motherboard exist where the x4 slot is not so close or is a couple slots away from the x16?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 228 U Graphics card
a c 227 V Motherboard
January 7, 2011 5:03:08 PM

You could simply get a mobo that has 2 (or more) x16 slots and install the x4 card into one of those slots. The x16 slots are backward compatible with x8, x4, and x1 devices.

Good luck!
m
l
January 13, 2011 11:07:17 PM

COLGeek said:
You could simply get a mobo that has 2 (or more) x16 slots and install the x4 card into one of those slots. The x16 slots are backward compatible with x8, x4, and x1 devices.

Good luck!

After not finding any other answers that is precisely what I chose to do. Got myself an Asus P5N-D
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 228 U Graphics card
a c 227 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 11:49:36 PM

Glad you arrived at a workable solution. You did good!
m
l
!