Is the new Battlefield too much for my system?

I have a 4 year old machine (specs below) and I'm wondering if I can upgrade my graphics card to buy some time before needing a new mobo/cpu.

I just got the new Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I get some nasty screen lag/hanging.

Was just looking at an XFX Radeon 5770 on Newegg for $159.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
4gb ram
Windows XP Pro 32/Windows 7 64 bit dual boot
MSI nVidia GTI 7600
8 answers Last reply
More about battlefield system
  1. Yep, IF you want to play at non-low settings, get the 5770.
  2. Two things your CPU is low on GHz (can be overclocked) and the 7600 Nvidia cards did not age well specially dealing with shaders. Perhaps upgrading to a GTS250, HD4770 or HD4850 for about $90-100 will allow you to play it at acceptable level.
  3. playing on low settings already and it's un-playable :(

thanks much to both
  4. Buy a 5770.

And if you can spring for that, then prehaps a new CPU coluld help?

Or an OC.
  5. builderbobftw said:
    Buy a 5770.

And if you can spring for that, then prehaps a new CPU coluld help?

Or an OC.

He is on socket 939 so not many options for a new CPU except for overpriced ones of ebay.
  6. harrytbags said:
    I have a 4 year old machine (specs below) and I'm wondering if I can upgrade my graphics card to buy some time before needing a new mobo/cpu.

I just got the new Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I get some nasty screen lag/hanging.

Was just looking at an XFX Radeon 5770 on Newegg for $159.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD X2 3800+
    4gb ram
    Windows XP Pro 32/Windows 7 64 bit dual boot
    MSI nVidia GTI 7600

Compared to my system - AMD FX-60 dual core, A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB of CL2 Corsair, 8800 GTS 512 and Windows XP, my rig barely runs this game. I have to turn everything down in order to get moderately playable FPS. If I turn things up any more than that, its like watching a flip-page picture book.
  7. This game requires a fast quad-core even and a mid-range up-to-date videocard even for low-med settings. Your rig is even bellow the minimum recommended specs.
  8. don't bother with a gpu before you get a new cpu. I have the 4800+ of that same series and i can barely keep my neck above 30 fps normally, let alone with tanks firing and things getting destroyed left and right
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield Graphics