Firewall problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
toolbar popup is not working either.
I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a utility?
Thanks Bruce
10 answers Last reply
More about firewall problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Have you set the IE popup blocker?

    --
    "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
    to pray for you."

    François Rabelais

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    > I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    > toolbar popup is not working either.
    > I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    > Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    > utility?
    > Thanks Bruce

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    A firewall is vital. You should never operate your computer without a
    firewall. You should be extremely suspicious of any program that advises you
    to disable your firewall.

    Most pop-up blockers, including the one now included with Internet Explorer,
    can be configured to allow pop-ups that come from the web site you are
    presently viewing. These pop-ups are typically safe. Other pop-ups can be
    dangerous to the health of your computer. If your pop-up software is
    correctly configured, you should be extremely suspicious of any program that
    advises you to turn it off.

    Properly configured, neither a firewall nor a pop-up blocker will prevent
    you from receiving updates for legitimate software.

    "Protect Your PC"
    www.microsoft.com/protect
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    > say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    > I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    > toolbar popup is not working either.
    > I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    > Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    utility?
    > Thanks Bruce

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    How do you connect to the Internet? Directly with a high speed connection?
    Using a high-speed (broardband) router? Dial-up? Does your Internet
    service provider provide a firewall service?

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    > I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    > toolbar popup is not working either.
    > I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    > Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    > utility?
    > Thanks Bruce

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Bruce

    Have you got a 3rd party Firewall installed as well? What sort of sites
    can't you access - https ones?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    > I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    > toolbar popup is not working either.
    > I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    > Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    > utility?
    > Thanks Bruce
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Yes will
    mostly thyird party ones that i thought I deleted, but maybe they are still
    active in registry. Such as EZ Antiviru & ZoneAlarm. But I got rid of them
    and just used my router.
    Any ideas?
    > Hi Bruce
    >
    > Have you got a 3rd party Firewall installed as well? What sort of sites
    > can't you access - https ones?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    >> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    >> toolbar popup is not working either.
    >> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    >> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    >> utility?
    >> Thanks Bruce

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    What/How do you do that. I connect to Intyernet with a broadband router to
    cable hookup.
    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Have you set the IE popup blocker?
    >
    > --
    > "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
    > to pray for you."
    >
    > François Rabelais
    >
    > "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    >> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    >> toolbar popup is not working either.
    >> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    >> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    >> utility?
    >> Thanks Bruce

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The IE popup blocker is found in TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - PRIVACY TAB..
    lurking at the base of the window.. if it is set, then just uncheck it..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    > What/How do you do that. I connect to Intyernet with a broadband router
    > to cable hookup.
    > "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Have you set the IE popup blocker?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody
    >> always to pray for you."
    >>
    >> François Rabelais
    >>
    >> "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
    >>>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
    >>> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
    >>> toolbar popup is not working either.
    >>> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
    >>> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
    >>> utility?
    >>> Thanks Bruce

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
    > A firewall is vital.

    I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a web
    browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Bob Lockie wrote:

    > On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
    >
    >> A firewall is vital.
    >

    > I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a web
    > browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)

    Then use a third party firewall but never go online without some
    firewall active. You are just asking to be infected.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In news:eF1QKCkAFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Bob Lockie <bob.lockie@NOSPAMmail.com> typed:

    > On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
    >> A firewall is vital.
    >
    > I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a
    > web
    > browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)

    If you haven't gotten infected already, you will very soon.
    Running without a firewall is foolhardy.

    If the Windows firewall doesn't work, you're doing something
    wrong, but if you don't ike that one, use a different one.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP