Firewall problems

January 5, 2005 1:13:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
toolbar popup is not working either.
I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a utility?
Thanks Bruce

More about : firewall problems

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Have you set the IE popup blocker?

--
"Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
to pray for you."

François Rabelais

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
> toolbar popup is not working either.
> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
> utility?
> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

A firewall is vital. You should never operate your computer without a
firewall. You should be extremely suspicious of any program that advises you
to disable your firewall.

Most pop-up blockers, including the one now included with Internet Explorer,
can be configured to allow pop-ups that come from the web site you are
presently viewing. These pop-ups are typically safe. Other pop-ups can be
dangerous to the health of your computer. If your pop-up software is
correctly configured, you should be extremely suspicious of any program that
advises you to turn it off.

Properly configured, neither a firewall nor a pop-up blocker will prevent
you from receiving updates for legitimate software.

"Protect Your PC"
www.microsoft.com/protect
--
Ted Zieglar

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
> say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
> toolbar popup is not working either.
> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
utility?
> Thanks Bruce

January 5, 2005 5:38:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

How do you connect to the Internet? Directly with a high speed connection?
Using a high-speed (broardband) router? Dial-up? Does your Internet
service provider provide a firewall service?

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
> toolbar popup is not working either.
> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
> utility?
> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:22:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Bruce

Have you got a 3rd party Firewall installed as well? What sort of sites
can't you access - https ones?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
> toolbar popup is not working either.
> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
> utility?
> Thanks Bruce
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:05:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Yes will
mostly thyird party ones that i thought I deleted, but maybe they are still
active in registry. Such as EZ Antiviru & ZoneAlarm. But I got rid of them
and just used my router.
Any ideas?
> Hi Bruce
>
> Have you got a 3rd party Firewall installed as well? What sort of sites
> can't you access - https ones?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
>> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
>> toolbar popup is not working either.
>> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
>> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
>> utility?
>> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:08:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What/How do you do that. I connect to Intyernet with a broadband router to
cable hookup.
"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Have you set the IE popup blocker?
>
> --
> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
> to pray for you."
>
> François Rabelais
>
> "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
>> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
>> toolbar popup is not working either.
>> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
>> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
>> utility?
>> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:26:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

The IE popup blocker is found in TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - PRIVACY TAB..
lurking at the base of the window.. if it is set, then just uncheck it..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

> What/How do you do that. I connect to Intyernet with a broadband router
> to cable hookup.
> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Have you set the IE popup blocker?
>>
>> --
>> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody
>> always to pray for you."
>>
>> François Rabelais
>>
>> "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>I need some info on firewalls. I cannot access some programs because they
>>>say I have a firewall blocking or popup control.
>>> I disabled the XP Pro firewall and I don't know of any more the google
>>> toolbar popup is not working either.
>>> I cannot do updates for AVG or spybot bercause of this.
>>> Is there a way of checking to see what is causing the problem or a
>>> utility?
>>> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
> A firewall is vital.

I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a web
browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)
January 24, 2005 4:14:26 PM

Bob Lockie wrote:

> On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
>
>> A firewall is vital.
>

> I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a web
> browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)

Then use a third party firewall but never go online without some
firewall active. You are just asking to be infected.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:41:48 PM

In news:eF1QKCkAFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bob Lockie <bob.lockie@NOSPAMmail.com> typed:

> On 1/5/2005 12:34 PM Ted Zieglar spoke:
>> A firewall is vital.
>
> I normally agree but the Microsoft one would not let me use a
> web
> browser so I disabled the firewall and it works. :-)

If you haven't gotten infected already, you will very soon.
Running without a firewall is foolhardy.

If the Windows firewall doesn't work, you're doing something
wrong, but if you don't ike that one, use a different one.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!