Help installing a bare drive!

redexx10

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Just bought a new 500 GB Hard drive

(HGST 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive )

But I'm stuck on what I'm actually suppose to do. I want to install this bare drive without copying any data from the previous.

A few questions that I would appreciate an answer to:

1. Do I have to install graphics card drivers, motherboard drivers (if have), or any sort of drivers like that when I'm done installing?
2. Can i have a well explained process for installing and setting up a new hard drive
3. Can SSD and HDD be used together?
4. How do I do BIOS thing when first installing hard drives (looked on tutorials)

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
1) HDD's don't use drivers. Simple. Unless you are using some types of RAID.

2) Screw it in, connect it and boot Windows. Enter disk management and format.

3) Yes, fill up your case with HDD's. No problems.

4) This is a data drive? Doesn't matter about the BIOS. Just don't install it to SATA_0, 0 should be your system drive where your OS is installed.

Dead simple really.

G

plug it in and boot.

A) if you can not see it with window explorer but you can see it with disk manager:

> click on "start>run" enter diskmgmt.msc in the run bracket, a disk manager will pop up.
you will see a new hard disk information in disk manager window; it is marked as unallocated.

> you can create a new partition by click on the new hard disk icon and then right click on your mouse, a menu will pop up for you to select "create partition"

> in partition wizard, you select it as "primary partition" and the click next.

> in the "format partition" window, you can choose to format it as NTFS.

B) if you see it in windows explorer but cannot access it, right click "format".

FINI!

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Or do you want to install an operating system on this new drive?

In that case you connect the drive to the computer (data and power cables, screws), then boot on your system install CD, and follow the instructions.
I recommend disconnect the other drive(s) before the installation to avoid confusion. You can connect them after the installation. And if needed, adjust the BIOS boot order, and set the new drive as the first boot device.

And of course, you'll have to install the necessary drivers (chipset, video card, LAN card, etc).