Flashing Bios

thrjnky

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
So, as per a previous post that was very helpful, I went to my board manufacturers website and download the latest bios for my motherboard(because I'm planning a CPU upgrade on my LP DK790FX-M2RS) but when I use the flash utility provided by the manufacturer and select the most updated .bin to load it gives me "Error Occurred: BIOS does not support AFU." I'm rather inexperienced when it comes to flashing BIOS and would appreciate any insight.

You should check that you don’t have a BIOS write protect jumper on your motherboard. The most common reason for this problem is that you are not using the correct BIOS, if you motherboard is an OEM motherboard then you should go to the OEM’s site and download the BIOS and flashing tool from there.
Look on the main board itself and write down marketing name (if there is one), model name and PCB Version.

Check this link.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=111506.0

thrjnky

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

1.From the DFI website it says i should be able to use the flash utility.

AMI BIOS Update Guideline.
NOTE: users of Windows7 / XP / Vista 32/64bits can use Ez_flash3264 to update their BIOS & ABS II Profile. Click here to download Ez_flash3264 Ver 001 and Click here to view instructions for flashing bios using Ez_flash3264 Ver 001.
*This is a direct copy and paste for the window's 7 instructions"

I don't have a floppy drive to flash with. Assuming I can't use the flash utility.

3. according to the mobo and CPU-Z i'm using 6.00 PG which was released on 3/6/08. I haven't updated the bios before and should be stock from initial install. Right now the CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition. I'm upgrading to AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. which is listed as a supported cpu with the latest bios update.

thrjnky

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
oh god i feel like a moron. Having read in more detail I see the issue. miss reading which utility i should have been downloading, and based on the new information I amazingly overlooked the utility isn't available for Windows 7. Which means I have to flash my bios with a USB(since i don't have a floppy). That being said i'm not familiar with flashing bios without a windows utility, could someone point me in the direction of a guide for flashing bios with a usb? Since I don't have a floppy. The DFI site instructions are all in taiwanese. XD