joewcross

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hello,

Recently I got a second hand Shuttle SN45G (FN45 motherboard) in a Hoojum Cubit 5 case (http://www.hoojum.com/new/html/cubit5.htm). However, the hardware is fairly outdated and my original idea of using it as a media centre is not really working out.

I am thinking of making this my new main computer by upgrading the internals.

So, what I would like to know is:

1) Can I replace the innards with any other Shuttle system? The FN45 mobo that I currently have is described as having an FlexATX form factor. Can I only replace this with FlexATX or is microATX compatible?

2) Is it worth buying the components I want to replace (mobo, CPU, GPU and PSU) individually or simply buy a whole new system? I realise this depends on the setup but in general, any advice would be welcome.

3) Has anyone got a recommendation for a good general purpose/light gaming rig from Shuttle?

Thanks in advance,

J

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

1) It' not even full Flex ATX, it's a custom shortened version. AMD later named this DTX, using six of the holes from Micro ATX, but DTX never became popular. The next size down is Mini-ITX.

Mini-ITX will fit but the screws might not line up. I'm sure you can fix that.

stonehauze

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Did you ever do it. I was scammed out of a case when a guy on Ebay UK got a hold of 5 and sold me one. But never shipped it. Tried to cancel the Echeck but no go. I understood they were out of business. I see the website is still up. Let me know what you ended up doing.