Budget Gaming PC Build - $750

knox_harrington

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week - maybe tonight?

BUDGET RANGE: $750 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got the following picked out for a total of $745 after shipping with $65 in additional rebates (i.e., total of $680). I'm looking for a critique or suggestions of better components. Thanks!

Newegg_Page_1.jpg

It is a nice build, but I would make some different choices.
The HD5830 has performance too close to the HD5770, and price too close to the HD5850. Either of those would give you higher bang/buck; check some benchmarks and consider the settings you want and/or would accept to help you decide.
Your mobo is not Crossfire, so you'll never have two GPUs. This means you can drop down to a 500W-550W PSU, although it looks like you're getting a great price on the one you chose; assuming you play the rebate game and win.

knox_harrington

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010

Your comment makes sense, I swapped the 5830 out for a 5850 and got a combo including a different PSU (maybe not as good as the Corsair? Prob won't matter as I don't think I'll be doing any Crossfire). Ends up at about $750 even including shipping and taking into account rebates.

Any issues with this build?

Here's the new stuff:

Newegg_Page_1.jpg

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Couple of things I see. If you play around a little more with your combos you can make it even better for the money.

1.) The RAM and Video Card you chose can be combo'ed together for a $20 discount:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.361501

2.) Then you can get the better corsair 650w PSU again, using the promo code AND the rebate! Great deal on that PSU!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair_650-_-17-139-005-_-Product

3.) Then use this combo for your MOBO and CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.381894

Thats the same mobo but a higher CPU and it comes out cheaper since you get the combo discount.

Only other thing is the case. There is a lot of personal preference to cases, but the one you chose seems to have none of the nice new features that most cases in that price range have.

Check out the HAF 922 for example.

Hope I helped you out with the combo deals. Corsair is ROCK SOLID for PSU, and they make good on their rebates too.

knox_harrington

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for those suggestions - unfortunately the deal on the Corsair PSU is no longer available, so I can't make that change anymore...

Instead I grabbed a combo for the Corsair PSU and the GPU, and added the Lian-Li A05nb case. I really like that the case is small & light, with no LEDs or anything. Unfortunately a bit over my budget (it's up to slightly above $800 shipped after rebates). Not sure if I can cut this price any further...

Any final thoughts on this set up? Any potential for reducing costs without sacrificing performance (aside from the case...)?

Newegg_Page_1%20v2.png

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
You sure that mini tower case can hold a 5850? I don't know for sure but I doubt it. Small cases are also gonna rock high temps, if that matters to you.

You're also spending $100 after shipping on a mini case... can't recommend that to someone who wants to game, but to each their own i suppose...

And if you need to get back closer to your $750 mark, you could cut $15 by combo'ing the 5850 with the earthwatts instead of the corsair.

knox_harrington

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
The A05nb case can hold the 5850, here's an example (disclaimer: not mine, pulled from another forum):

dsc02051mk.jpg

I will likely change to something like the Antec 300, since it knocks about $50 off the total and that's hard to justify. I have to admit, though, that I'm very intrigued about a small form-factor case like the Lian-Li that only weighs ~3lbs. Also, I'm not really into the LEDs so it's seems perfect, just too hard to justify the cost I suppose...

TRENDING THREADS