T'shooting an older-laptop problem?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 23, 2004 8:03:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Esteemed Gurus :-)

I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes to
laptops.

Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop t'shooting?

A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
least the case fan working.
The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would indicate
the HD is running.

It would be nice to get the spare parts at a low price to get it running
again but, if not, is there any way to salvage what is on the HD? Are there
any external cases that the HD could be dropped into, to get the info from
the HD into another computer? Or could the laptop HD be used in a desktop?

Advice greatly appreciated.

RF
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 10:29:16 AM

"RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message news:<aWr4d.7583$gG4.3614@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes to
> laptops. Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop
> t'shooting?

Laptops and desktops work the same way, except you find more
proprietary parts in the laptops and the screen and keyboard is
connected :-)

> A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
> least the case fan working.
> The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would indicate
> the HD is running.

Do you hear any HD noises? Can you boot from a floppy or CD? Do you
get anything if you plug an external monitor to the laptop? Are you
running on AC power, or just battery?

> It would be nice to get the spare parts at a low price to get it running
> again but, if not, is there any way to salvage what is on the HD?

Yes, and you've got the right idea on both -assuming the HD is still
working :-)

> Are there
> any external cases that the HD could be dropped into, to get the info from
> the HD into another computer?

Probably. There are tons of external cases (USB, USB 2, and firewire)
that you can drop a laptop HD into - but one caveat. AFAIK, your
drive has to be 12.5mm or less in height (thickness). Found out the
hard way, with an old laptop HD that was 17mm in height.

> Or could the laptop HD be used in a desktop?

Yes, something like this:
is $2.50 + $3.50 shipping. I have one that has an actual grey ribbon
cable with the adapters at each end. Search eBay for "IDE drive
laptop" and you should get plenty of hits.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 1:14:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Just get something like a ... I-Rocks USB 2.0 Aluminum 2.5" Enclosure $13
at iocombo.com

http://www.iocombo.com/product/showproduct.php?producti...

put the laptop hard drive in it and attach it via USB to your desktop and
get what you need off of it!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 5:27:38 PM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:03:18 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:

>Esteemed Gurus :-)
>
>I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes to
>laptops.
>
>Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop t'shooting?
>
>A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
>least the case fan working.
>The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would indicate
>the HD is running.
>
>It would be nice to get the spare parts at a low price to get it running
>again but, if not, is there any way to salvage what is on the HD? Are there
>any external cases that the HD could be dropped into, to get the info from
>the HD into another computer? Or could the laptop HD be used in a desktop?

Follow the Mailman's tips to make use of the HD, but forget about
salvaging the computer. Parts for laptops aren't commodities as they
are in desktops, where you can get them from a number of firms.
They're proprietary, depending on the machine brand, and everything's
specifically designed to work together.

There are laptop repair shops out there, but in my experience, any
substantial repair will run you hundreds of dollars, and you're better
off scrapping the machine.
September 23, 2004 8:31:49 PM

"Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message
> > I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes
> > laptops. Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop
> > t'shooting?
>
> Laptops and desktops work the same way, except you find more
> proprietary parts in the laptops and the screen and keyboard is
> connected :-)
>
> > A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
> > least the case fan working.
> > The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would
indicate
> > the HD is running.
>
> Do you hear any HD noises? Can you boot from a floppy or CD? Do you
> get anything if you plug an external monitor to the laptop? Are you
> running on AC power, or just battery?
>
> > It would be nice to get the spare parts at a low price to get it running
> > again but, if not, is there any way to salvage what is on the HD?
>
> Yes, and you've got the right idea on both -assuming the HD is still
> working :-)
>
> > Are there
> > any external cases that the HD could be dropped into, to get the info
from
> > the HD into another computer?
>
> Probably. There are tons of external cases (USB, USB 2, and firewire)
> that you can drop a laptop HD into - but one caveat. AFAIK, your
> drive has to be 12.5mm or less in height (thickness). Found out the
> hard way, with an old laptop HD that was 17mm in height.
>
> > Or could the laptop HD be used in a desktop?
>
> Yes, something like this:

&rd=1
> is $2.50 + $3.50 shipping. I have one that has an actual grey ribbon
> cable with the adapters at each end. Search eBay for "IDE drive
> laptop" and you should get plenty of hits.

Thank you Anon Jack.

I'll look into that. Sounds very interesting.

RF
September 23, 2004 8:36:15 PM

"Cyrus Afzali" <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:03:18 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:
>
> >Esteemed Gurus :-)
> >
> >I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes to
> >laptops.
> >
> >Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop t'shooting?
> >
> >A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
> >least the case fan working.
> >The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would indicate
> >the HD is running.
> >
> >It would be nice to get the spare parts at a low price to get it running
> >again but, if not, is there any way to salvage what is on the HD? Are
there
> >any external cases that the HD could be dropped into, to get the info
from
> >the HD into another computer? Or could the laptop HD be used in a
desktop?

> Follow the Mailman's tips to make use of the HD, but forget about
> salvaging the computer. Parts for laptops aren't commodities as they
> are in desktops, where you can get them from a number of firms.
> They're proprietary, depending on the machine brand, and everything's
> specifically designed to work together.
>
> There are laptop repair shops out there, but in my experience, any
> substantial repair will run you hundreds of dollars, and you're better
> off scrapping the machine.

Thanks Cyrus.

I checked with Compaq and the prices for spare parts are astronomical and
I'd never go the repair shop route. I could probably buy a working laptop
for
the cost of the repairs.

The Mailman and Jack have very good suggestions.

Thanks again.

RF
September 23, 2004 8:38:32 PM

"The Mailman" <notadp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just get something like a ... I-Rocks USB 2.0 Aluminum 2.5" Enclosure $13
> at iocombo.com
>

> http://www.iocombo.com/product/showproduct.php?producti...
>

> put the laptop hard drive in it and attach it via USB to your desktop and
> get what you need off of it!

Many thanks Mailman, you really hit the mark with this answer.

Will check into it right away. This is the kind of thing I was hoping for.

RF
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 8:39:10 PM

RedFox wrote:
> "The Mailman" <notadp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just get something like a ... I-Rocks USB 2.0 Aluminum 2.5"
>> Enclosure $13 at iocombo.com
>>

>> http://www.iocombo.com/product/showproduct.php?producti...
>>

>> put the laptop hard drive in it and attach it via USB to your
>> desktop and get what you need off of it!
>>

> Many thanks Mailman, you really hit the mark with this answer.
>
> Will check into it right away. This is the kind of thing I was hoping
> for.
>
> RF

Through wind and rain and barking dogs
The Mailman after dark still slogs....

a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 1:03:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

you're welcome
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 5:56:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message
> Esteemed Gurus :-)
>
> I am very familiar with desktop computers but am a dummy when it comes to
> laptops.
>
> Does anyone know of a website that has a tutorial on laptop t'shooting?

Component level? I wish but it works pretty much the same as a desktop. The
HP web site has drivers, manuals, parts lists, assembly and service
instructions. Lots of parts for the 1200 series and parts are much cheaper
at Ebay and elsewhere.

> A friend has a laptop - a Compaq Presario 1230 - that seems to have at
> least the case fan working.
> The screen is dead and I don't see any hard drive led that would indicate
> the HD is running.

Check the CMOS battery as some motherboards don't boot up on a dead battery.
The screen has 2 connectors to the motherboad and you should check if it's
connected or broken off.

!